Search for content in message boards

Walter Frederick Page and Nora Ethel Chalk, Belton, Texas: Page and Chalk lines

Replies: 17

Walter Frederick Page and Nora Ethel Chalk, Belton, Texas: Page and Chalk lines

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 11:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
This is information that I have shared with Carla Page several years ago regarding the Chalk-Page lineage. However, this is really disheartening that I have to repeat this information again, as so much of it was incorrectly recorded in Ancestry.com

From William Roscoe Chalk descends a first born son, Robert Lewis Chalk.

My Grandmother, Nora Ethel Chalk Page (only child of the marriage of Robert Lewis Chalk and Sophia Walker Manning, 2nd spouse for both) was married to Walter Frederick Page (born at The Flat, located near Lake Belton).

For more information about Nora Ethel Chalk, see page 118 of the book, The Chalk Family of England and America, 1066-1942.

Nora Ethel Chalk Page died in Olney, Texas, and is buried next to my Grandfather in the Killeen City Cemetery. Her mother, Sophia Josephine Walker Manning Chalk” is buried in the same plot. Robert Lewis Chalk is buried in the South Belton Cemetery on Penelope St. next to his first wife, Annie Butcher.

My Grandfather, Walter Frederick Page, often wrote his name as W.F. Page or Walter F. Page. His father was Walter William Page, who died in Ft. Worth, TX. Walter William Page’s father, Stephen (Steven) Page was born in Florida. This branch of Texas Page family members came out of Florida…not Tennessee. Florida has many Page’s who settled there when the state opened in 1820.

Nora Ethel Chalk Page’s half-sister, Sarah Minna Chalk Scott Hyman was the author of the Chalk Family of England and America, 1066-1942. Sarah Minna was called “Minna” for short. Minna is the daughter of Annie Butcher (first spouse) and Robert Lewis Chalk. For more information about “Minna” see the above mentioned book, page 114.

Minna wrote in full about the Texas Branch of the Chalk Family that came out of North Carolina, into Maury County, TN and into Bell County, Texas. The Chalks along with the Blackburns packed up the farm and came to Texas en masse. One can find information about our ancestors descended from William Roscoe Chalk and Frances Omsby Blackburn on page 113 of the aforementioned book.

Also, to add further to the confusion, the second son of William Roscoe Chalk and Frances Omsby Blackburn, John William Douglas Chalk had a daughter named: Nora Elizabeth Chalk, born 26Dec1872, died 12Aug1940. Her only child died in infancy. She lived in Belton, TX as well. See the Chalk Family book, page 118.

I believe there is a presumption that a Nora “C.” Page is Nora Chalk Page. Not so. My Grandmother always went by Nora E(thel). Chalk. Not Nora “C.” As an example in the 1910 US Federal Census, Nora C. Page is a Page…not a Chalk. Nora C. Page’s parents are Bula S. Page and William I. Page.
From what I pulled out of Ancestry.com, there are several Nora Page that were born approximate to the year 1900, which put these Nora approximate to my Grandmother Nora Ethel Chalk’s birth, 19Aug1898. Obviously, “Nora” was a very popular name in the early 1900s.

The following is just a few the “Nora Page” that was pulled out of Ancestry.com for early 1900 Texas information.

Respectfully,
Noralyn Ann Page Ripps

1910 US Federal Census
Name: Nora C Page, born Sept. 1998, Henderson Co., TX
Mother: Bula S Page
Birth: Sep 1898 - Texas
Residence: Justice Precinct 4, Henderson, Texas

William I Page (Father)
Bula S Page
Nora C Page

Married 1898 to Bula
1910 US Federal Census
Name: Nora Page
Age in 1910: 10
Birth Year: 1900
Birthplace: Texas
Home in 1910: Justice Precinct 5, Cooke, Texas
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Tom F Page
Father's Birthplace: Mississippi
Mother's Name: Mollie Page
Mother's Birthplace: Texas

1930 US Federal Census
Name: Nora D Page
Birth Year: abt 1902
Home in 1930: Dallas, Dallas, Texas
View Map

Marital Status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: Claude R Page
Father's Birthplace: Georgia
Mother's Birthplace: Kentucky
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Claude R Page
Nora D Page
Claude R Page
Ruth E Page

1900 US Federal Census,
Name: Nora Page
Birth Date: May 1899
Home in 1900: Celeste, Hunt, Texas
[Hunt]
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Marital Status: Single
Father's Name: Thomas Page
Father's Birthplace: Mississippi
Mother's Name: Mary E Page
Mother's Birthplace: Texas

Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Joseph W Smith
Elizabeth Smith
Garland Smith
Purnery G Smith
Thomas Page
Mary E Page
Viola Page
Olive Page
Nora Page

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
nripps2 25 Jan 2013 6:13PM GMT 
HL2604 25 Jan 2013 8:08PM GMT 
franceswilles... 25 Jan 2013 11:40PM GMT 
nripps2 26 Jan 2013 4:00PM GMT 
nripps2 26 Jan 2013 1:24AM GMT 
HL2604 26 Jan 2013 11:03AM GMT 
nripps2 26 Jan 2013 4:14PM GMT 
HL2604 26 Jan 2013 9:28PM GMT 
nripps2 27 Jan 2013 2:17AM GMT 
HL2604 27 Jan 2013 9:22AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions