Search for content in message boards

Looking for Frank Cortez Funeral Home records.

Replies: 3

Looking for Frank Cortez Funeral Home records.

Posted: 16 Sep 2012 8:32AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Sep 2012 9:27AM GMT
Surnames: TARR
I am hoping to find who might have possession of the records for the Frank Cortez Funeral Home. The name appeared regularly in the San Antonio newspapers from the 1940's through 1960's, but I can find no recent mention of the home. It was located at 508 El Paso Street.

They handled the funeral for Charles M. Tarr (my wife's great-grandfather) on 26 March 1946. The death certificate for Charles did not name the cemetery in which he was buried. It did state he was buried in Galveston, but that seems unlikely. The only obituary that I have found did not list the name of the cemetery, either, and stated he was buried in San Antonio. As Charles died at the Bexar County Home for the Aged, he may have been buried as a pauper. His presence there seems to be a bit of a mystery, as his residence was in Monmouth, Illinois. He had no known family in the area. The lot next to his first wife in Illinois is still unused. His death certificate stated he was widowed, but he had remarried after the death of his first wife, with his second wife being listed as married, then widowed, in the Monmouth city directories after his death.

I am hoping to find the funeral home record, and that they recorded the name of the cemetery in which Charles was buried.

Thank you!

[Notes - I found where Frank Cortez was awarded contracts for public burial of the poor - $30 for adults and $15 for infants - in 1948. At about the same time, he was advertising adult burials "as low as $45". An article from 1963 stated Frank Cortez was 58 years old, and running for San Antonio city council. That same article stated he placed 5th overall out of 11 candidates in 1948 for US Senate, with Lyndon B. Johnson winning that election. He also ran for the US Senate in 1956. There are also mentions of a Frank Cortez Jr. who served as a mortician for the US Government in Vietnam and Japan in 1967.]
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
richards_clar... 16 Sep 2012 2:32PM GMT 
PaSain 22 Sep 2012 12:59AM GMT 
Douglas McCoy 12 Jan 2013 4:01PM GMT 
richards_clar... 13 Jan 2013 11:57PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions