Search for content in message boards

Family of Wilson M. Biffle

Replies: 4

Family of Wilson M. Biffle

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 10:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Sep 2004 8:15AM GMT
Surnames: Biffle, Mathews, LaFon, Autrey, Heflin, Phillips. Womble, LaFon, Locke, Sweeney
SOME NOTES ON THE FAMILY OF WILSON M. BIFFLE

This will be long, so please bear with me.

In Bosque County there are two marriage records for Wilson M. Biffle and Susan Mathews. One is dated 2 Jan 1873 and the other 5 Jan 1873. I have not actually viewed the documents so I don’t know if the dates are the dates that the licenses were issued or the date that the marriage was performed. There is also a record in Johnson County for Wilson Biffle and Mrs. S. A. Mathews. with the date 26 Feb 1872. Again, I have not view the document.

Wilson N. Biffle and two sons, Nathan I (b. abt 1875) and Lafayette (b. abt 1878) are listed on the 1880 census for Bosque County. They are living in the home of William Sims, Wilson’s employer. Wilson’s marital status is given as "married." The 1880 census for Travis County lists a Susan A. Biffle (age 28) as a inmate in the "Lunatic Asylum." Her occupation is given as "farmer’s wife." Was she Wilson’s wife.?

Wilson had a sister named Cynthia (or Syntha—records vary) who married F. A. Locke in Bosque County 2 Dec 1877. A family story says that there was one child of this marriage who died and that Mr. Locke died of pheumonia. In 1880 Cynthia was living with her parents in Stephens County. In her autobiography, Cynthia mentions a nephew named Fred. A Fred Biffle (age 36) is found on the 1910 census for Briscoe County. He died before 1920 and his widow is found on the 1920 census in Briscoe County. No census record for this Fred Biffle has been found for 1880 or 1900. Cynthia and her second husband, D. H. Sweeney also lived in Briscoe County.

Living in the home of Fred LaFon in Bosque County in 1880 were two children named Biffle who were identified as granddaughter, Midniola [sic], age 4; and grandson, Norben, age 2. On the 1870 census, this same Fred(rick) LaFon was living in Bosque County and had a daughter named Suseanna in the household. She was 18 years old. The family was in Johnson County in 1860 and this time the daughter’s name was Susannah. Could this be the Susan A. Mathews who married Wilson M. Biffle and are the grandchildren from 1880 her children? Is it possible that the Fred from above was also her child?

Norben/Norban/Norbin Biffle was living in Jack County in 1900 with his wife of one year. He is listed on page 77A, household 106. The father of Wilson Biffle was listed on page 76B, household 104. Cynthia Biffle and her second husband lived in Jack County for a few years after their marriage. Norben was living in Borden County in 1910. He was in Union County (page 156A) in 1920 as were Nathan Biffle (page 155B), son of Wilson Biffle and Mrs. S. A. Mathews, and William Biffle, son of Wilson Biffle and his second wife. Norban was in Dallas County in 1930 with a new wife and two stepsons. Nathan was still in Union Co., New Mexico in 1930. I did not find a record for William in 1930.

On http://www.biffle.org, Janet M. Roseen says that Norben and Nathan were brothers. If this is true (which I think it is). Norben was a son of Wilson M. Biffle and wife Susan A. It would also then follow that Susan was the daughter of Fred(rick) La Fon.

The second wife of Wilson M. Biffle was Amanda Rutha Autrey, widow of Thomas Newton Womble and daughter of William J. Autrey and Francis Ann Heflin. Francis Ann Heflin was a daughter of David Green Heflin and Mary Ann Hester and a sister of Amanda Elizabeth Heflin, wife of Charles Alexander Gordon; and Martha Josephene Heflin, wife of John Clark Phillips.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Margaret_McC 11 Jan 2004 5:57AM GMT 
wilandbl 13 Jan 2004 3:47PM GMT 
Margaret McClesey 14 Jan 2004 2:30PM GMT 
BMay933 17 Jan 2012 2:42AM GMT 
hepster60 15 Aug 2013 1:52AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions