Search for content in message boards

MENSIK, Josephine (Zacek) b 1897 d 1986

Replies: 9

Re: MENSIK, Josephine (Zacek) b 1897 d 1986

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 11:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mensik
Thank you so much for your quick reply. My Josephine "Josie" Mensik was 52 in 1947, according to an article in the Seattle Post Intelligencer. She was a Mensik by marriage (Frank Mensik). My grandmother was married to Joseph Mensik. I don't know if Mensik was a common name in Czech at the time, but it seems as if there were a lot of Josephs and Josephines. I believe my Josephine's maiden name was Arderdle. Also, there was a change in the spelling of the name of Mensik when they came to America.

I am in possesion of a beautiful hand-painted vase stamped Czech.

Right now I am recovering from surgery, so I do not have the energy to look further, but I certainly will in the future. I have a living relative with 400 pages devoted to the Mensik line and a DVD of a Mensik reunion in 1993.

Another unusual fact, but not verifiable. I have cousins, Noyes, who knew my mother Betty Jean, while growing up. I have a great uncle (Mensik) who was a master baker in Tacoma, WA. These cousins (in their 90s but still very sharp) swear that he invented the recipe for Almond Roca. My uncle worked for Brown and Haley at the time. "We're not sure if he gave the recipe to Mr. Brown or Mr. Haley, but, yes, he did invent the recipe for Almond Roca."

The strange thing is, is that I have a recipe for almond roca that is to die for. Everyone has to be on my good list to my get my roca at Christmastime. People start asking for it around November. This roca is much, much better than the canned stuff you get from Brown and Haley today. I am sure the Almond Roca today is much different than the recipe my great-uncle invented. I just have this gut feeling that this is a true story....and I inherited some genetic predisposition for making almond roca, LOL

I made it for years before I found out about my great-uncle. Some things you just know to be true.

Thanks again, and I will let you know when I do some more research.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LUnknown43 30 Aug 2009 7:39PM GMT 
lsschwinler 7 Mar 2010 10:17PM GMT 
LolaWeber74 8 Mar 2010 5:25PM GMT 
lsschwinler 10 Mar 2010 6:21PM GMT 
LLMarion 16 Jan 2011 12:28AM GMT 
lschwinler 16 Jan 2011 11:57PM GMT 
LLMarion 17 Jan 2011 5:52PM GMT 
tntgen123 8 Oct 2011 3:56PM GMT 
LLMarion 8 Oct 2011 10:25PM GMT 
mkats188 30 Dec 2012 2:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions