Search for content in message boards

Kurten Cemetery Records

Replies: 6

Re: Kurten Cemetery Records

Posted: 1 Apr 2012 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
This is the records for the Kurten cemetery, but Kurten wasn't a rich area back in the day. Lots of families inthe 1800's, especially prior to the Kurten cemetery, buried their loved ones on their own property or had small private cemeteries that they shared with nearby neighbors. One pair of my gr. gr. grandparents are buried in such a cemetery on what is now the Tauber ranch in Kurten. This was also a frequent practice with stillborn babies or infants.

There's a book about Brazos county history that you can find in some libraries (mostly in Texas. I know the library at Texas State University has it. It may be available for interlibrary loan with a library or University near you, I'm not sure.) that lists most of the known cemeteries in the area, though many are still on private property. I don't have copies of all the pages describing the local cemeteries and who to contact, but I did copy the page listing the different cemeteries, and there are 85 counting all the private cemeteries, but this also includes cemeteries in Bryan/College Station and further out in Brazos county. There was a map of the area as well, so if you know where there property was, you might be able to narrow down the most likely cemeteries using that book.

There's another book of brazos county cemetery records that's floating around (the San Antonio library has it, but it's in their texana collection and you can only look at it when the texana section is open, so that one's not as easy to get to) that includes records for a lot of the smaller private cemeteries. That book is the reason I knew about my gr. gr. grandparents. Hope that helps.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bobcatred 1 Apr 2012 8:20PM GMT 
Linda Houck 2 Apr 2012 2:17AM GMT 
Linda Houck 2 Apr 2012 2:20AM GMT 
bobcatred 2 Apr 2012 3:19AM GMT 
Linda Houck 2 Apr 2012 2:38PM GMT 
bobcatred 6 Jul 2012 7:38PM GMT 
Linda Houck 6 Jul 2012 8:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions