Search for content in message boards

MCCRU(I)MME(i,o)N/SE(u)TTLE NC>ALA>TX/JOHN W. FOREMAN

Replies: 1

MCCRU(I)MME(i,o)N/SE(u)TTLE NC>ALA>TX/JOHN W. FOREMAN

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 3:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McCrummen, McCrimmin, McCrummin, etc./Foreman
Where did the John McCrummen [McCru(i)mme(I,O)n] family actually physically live in Cherokee County, Texas? Did his family ever live in the Cold Springs Community west of Alto??? Or was he a land speculator of some sort who rented out the land for sharecropping, etc. Some of the McCrummon family still owned a large portion of land on the north side of SH 21 West until after the mid-1900's but did not live in the community. Cherokee County, Texas, Deed Book 36, Page 116 shows in 1905-1906 John McCrummen of Lubbock, Texas,gave/acknowledged title to the Trustees of St. Thomas Chapel AME Church for 13 1/2 acres of land. St. Thomas Chapel AME Church and Cemetery are located four miles west of Alto on the north side of State Highway 21 West at the intersection of SH 21 West and the Lynches Chapel Road that has a county road number. In the old Cherokee County school records about 1898 there was a public school at St. Thomas Chapel with 75 students.
John McCrummen (1822-1909)and his wife, Mary A. are buried in the Cedar Hill Cemetery in Rusk, Cherokee County, Texas. I found a record on familysearch.org where a John McCrummen married Mary Se(u)ttle in Bibb County, Alabama, in 1840. The family is on the 1850, 1860, 1870,1880, and 1900 Cherokee County, Texas, census. The census shows that their older children were born in Alabama and that he was from North Carolina. Where in NC??? In 1860 John McCrummon owned 18 slaves.
John W. Foreman owned 11 slavwes in 1860. The land on the south side of Hwy 21 where most of the houses in the "Chapel" are and were located was originally the John W. Foreman tract of over 300 acres. The John W. Foreman family was originally from Talladega County, Alabama, and before that from South Carolina. They were here before 1850 and the legal description on portions of that tract date back to the 1850's. Much is known about the Foremans. Family members have markers in the Shiloh Methodist Church Cemetery and some of their descendants still own parts of that tract in the area and still live in the area.
In 1985 I did the research and wrote a 55 page monograph for the historical marker for the Cold Springs Methodist Church and Public School where my husband attended school for the first three grades until it consolidated with Alto in 1944. In that research I found information on St. Thomas Chapel which was the black school in Common School District No. 3. My husband grew up on the hill just east of the St. Thomas Church property. However, his family did not moved to the area until 1915. Now almost 30 years later, because of a cookbook being put together by the AME Church district/conference, members of St. Thomas Chapel have finally gotten interested in knowing more about the history of their church. The cookbook is to feature a picture and some history about each church.
Vivian Toole Cates, Mound Prairie Ranch, Alto, Texas 75925-5706 1-936-858-3801 http://www.myinu.net/vcates

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
VivianCates50 20 Jan 2013 10:22PM GMT 
PaSain 14 Feb 2013 3:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions