Search for content in message boards

Moreland, Collin Co., TX

Replies: 6

Re: Moreland, Collin Co., TX

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 9:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
I live on CR 580 East of TX-78 on Desert Creek, near Blue Ridge. Billy John Dickson uses the land, across CR 580 from me that he says was the Moreland townsite. All that is left is a windmill, the foundation for a cotton gin, some well curbing from the hand dug wells, and house foundations.

The land is owned by Wade Campbell a lawyer in Richardson Tx, whose family Campbell Road is named after.

The Moreland site is being used for pasture, and is inside a locked gate. I think Mr Cambell would let you visit the property. He is usually on the land around 8:00 on Saturdays, training his sheep dog.

As I said there is not much left. The Seaway Pipeline is planned to go through there this year and will destroy some of what there is.

Billy John Dickson is 78 years old. He says the town was gone, as far back as he can remember. He says that the old road ran North of CR 580 and can be traced by the tree line. He said his grandfather used to talk about people coming from all around with teams and wagons to haul water from Moreland.

I plan to do a GPS survey, take some pictures, and write up a short history of Moreland in 2013 for the Collin County Historical Society. Family stories are welcome! When completed, the writeup will be in their archives at the old post office building on Virginia street in McKinney TX.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Walter Sizemore 15 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
timmy8n 17 Jun 2009 2:49AM GMT 
TracyHunter75 9 May 2011 8:40PM GMT 
Aurora Chancy 9 May 2011 11:48PM GMT 
TracyHunter75 10 May 2011 5:25PM GMT 
backerprecisi... 31 Mar 2013 3:52PM GMT 
29THENGRS 11 May 2011 3:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions