Search for content in message boards

Descendants of Amelia Powell Darby Powel

Replies: 3

Re: Descendants of Amelia Powell Darby Powel

Posted: 10 Dec 2013 1:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: POWELL HENDERSON DARBY JENKINS MOORE HOWEGEMEYER CHAPMAN
I sent this directly to Judy Talkington today:

My maiden name is Henderson and I'm a descendant of Albert Noble HENDERSON and Sarah Jane POWELL.

I'm sure you have all the same information that I do; however, this is what I know:

Amelia F. DARBY and son James A DARBY appear on the 1850 U.S. Census in Fulton County, Kentucky with her parents, Robert West POWELL and Elizabeth G DAWSON POWELL and her siblings. This census was enumerated on August 24 1850.

Although I haven't seen an actual record, I have seen references to the marriage of Amelia F. POWELL to John T. DARBY in July 1831 and that James A. DARBY was born in 1832.

Fast forward a bit to the death certificate of Sarah Jane POWELL HENDERSON. It lists only her father's name for parents: J.R. Powell. And her birth place listed in Obion County, Tennessee.

I did a search for a J.R. POWELL in Obion County, Tennessee in 1850 and a marriage record came up for a James R. POWELL and Melia F. DARBY! on October 8, 1850. This was less than one month before the supposed birth of Sarah Jane POWELL on November 3, 1850. It was also only about two months since the 1850 Census was enumerated in Fulton County, Kentucky with Amelia F. DARBY POWELL listed.

First I'm curious about James R. POWELL. Was he a cousin? or uncle? or??? He was about ten years old than Amelia. Was he even Sarah Jane's father? or did he just marry Amelia when she was 8 months pregnant? We may never know the answer to that last question!

I know that James A. DARBY was in Texas by 1858 when he married my gr-gr-gr-aunt Loucinthia HENDERSON. And that Amelia and James R POWELL were living in Fayette County, Texas by 1860 as they appear on the U.S. Census there with Sarah (listed as age 9), Houston (age 5) and George (age 1). Amelia and James with Houston and George are also listed on the 1870 Census for Colorado County, Texas. Sarah had married Albert Noble HENDERSON in 1868 (I still haven't found a marriage record for them!) and they appear on the 1870 Census in Colorado County, with their firstborn, my gr-gr-grandfather, William Monroe HENDERSON.

I could find NO record for either Amelia or James R. POWELL after the 1870 Census. Is it possible they are buried in Clear Creek?

I did find their son, George, on the 1880 census with his wife, Lousia HOEGEMEYER. I found their marriage record on March 1 1880. And I saw Louisa's parents listed on the same 1880 census record page so they were neighbors. Also on that page were the JENKINS and the MOORES.... who both married Julia HENDERSON.

I found some death certificates for George and Lousia POWELL's children.

I had assumed that Houston POWELL was a male as "she"? is listed as such on the 1860 and 1870 Census records; however, I was confused when your 2008 post stated he/she was married to David Madison CHAPMAN. Can you clarify this?

Anyway, I know NOTHING about James R.POWELL's parents and how he was related to Amelia Powell, if he was? I also have no idea where they were buried or when they died. Do you have this information?

Well, thanks in advance for reading this and for sharing any new information with me that I don't already have.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jctalkington 3 Nov 2008 5:46PM GMT 
Brightstarr10 14 Apr 2009 9:05AM GMT 
Brightstarr10 14 Apr 2009 9:06AM GMT 
Juliet_Hender... 10 Dec 2013 8:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions