Search for content in message boards

CLOUD / RUTHERFORD in Comanche cty

Replies: 2

CLOUD / RUTHERFORD in Comanche cty

Posted: 3 Dec 2002 7:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Jul 2006 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: CARTER, CLOUD, ROGERS, RUTHERFORD, STEVENS, TAYLOR
If anyone has any information on RUTHERFORDs in Milam county Texas or surrounding areas, please let me know. My g-grandmother Cloud is a dead-end for our family and I'm hoping some of you may be able to give us some leads.

She was Nancy Elizabeth Rutherford, b. JAN 3 1851 TN and died JUN 17 1934 OK. She married, ca 1870, probably Milam county, TX, William Lafayette "Bill" Cloud.

I am unable to find anyone in the family who knows who her parents were. My grandmother Cloud may have known, but she died in 1965 and I guess no one was interested enough to ask her or to listen and remember what she said. The closest *guess* I can come up with for Nancy's parents is James M. Rutherford, b. ca 1822 SC, who was married to Nancy <unknown>. On the 1870 census, this family had 6 children, with a Nancy b. ca 1854. My g-grandmother's tombstone says she was b. 1851 but, in the 1880 census, she gives her age as 26, lending credence to the theory that the Nancy in this family from the 1870 census and my g-grandmother are one and the same person.

Here is what we know at this time:
===========================================

In the 1870, Milam county Texas census, there is a Rutherford family listed:

James M. Rutherford, farmer, 48, M-W, born SC, SanAndres community, house 1633
Nancy, 44, housekeeper, TENN
William, farm labor, 17, TENN
Nancy, 16, TENN
Mary, 14, TENN
David, 12, TENN
Margarett, 8, TENN
John, 6, TENN

In the 1880 Milam county Texas census is the family of William Lafayette CLOUD:
William CLOUD, 28, farmer, AL, dad AL, mom AL
Nancy E. CLOUD, 26, wife, keepinghouse, TN, TN, TN
William CLOUD, age 5, born: TX
Thomas M. CLOUD, age 3, born: TX

Nancy?s gravestone says she was b. 1851, which would make it unlikely she is the girl in the 1870 census above but, in the 1880 census above, she lists her age as 26, consistent with the age of the girl in the 1870 census. The connection between the 1870 RUTHERFORDs and the 1880 CLOUDs is, at this point, purely speculation.

** other clues:
===========
Nancy?s husband, Bill Cloud, had a 1st cousin once removed named Francis ?Fannie? Cloud who married, ca 1870, a Jacob RUTHERFORD, b. ca 1822 TN. We don?t know Jacob?s ancestry either. Both Bill and Fannie Cloud?s families were in Milam county during their youth and at the time of their marriages.

I speculate that Nancy RUTHERFORD and Jacob RUTHERFORD may have been siblings, Nancy b. ca 1856 TN and Jacob b. ca 1848 TN. (Jacob was 22 by the time of the above 1870 census so had probably married and was not living with his parents.)

Clues regarding Fannie Cloud who m. Jacob H. RUTHERFORD:
==============================================

On Dec 16, 1875, a deed was filed in Milam county, TX -- ?J C CLOUD ET AL TO L B RUTHERFORD? -- ?Margaret Carter and her husband T Carter, Francis Rutherford and her husband J H Rutherford, J C Cloud and Jerry Cloud, J D Rogers, his wife M E Rogers, all of the County of Milam for and in consideration of the sum of Five hundred dollars ?. convey to the said L B Rutherford?

J.C. Cloud is the father of Margaret, Francis/Fannie, J.C. Jr., and Jerry Cloud. J.D. Rogers was the husband of J.C. Cloud?s eldest, Mary Elizabeth Cloud. (Of note is that they were all listed as residents of Milam county in December 1875.)
. - Mary Cloud m. 1858 Austin cty TX, Joseph Daniel ROGERS (1835 AL-1918 TX) son of Jas Bennett Rogers.
. - Jno C. Cloud Jr m. 1864 Milam cty, Sarah Sallie CARTER (1849 MS-1918 AZ) dau of Jackson Alexander Carter and Dorcas Pryor TAYLOR.
. - Margaret Cloud m. 1865 Milam cty, Thomas Council CARTER, bro to Sarah Carter above.
. - and Frances ?Fannie? Cloud m. ca 1870 Jacob H. RUTHERFORD (no other information is known about their family or descendants).

Jno Clark Cloud moved to Comanche cty, TX after 1875.

.. the leads below were collected by cousin Lura Black.

1850 Census McMinn Cty, TN, page 356, taken 18 Sep, family #2684
James M. Rutherford, age 29
Nancy, 25
James, 6
Jacob, 4 ? (b. ca 1846)
Thomas, 2
William, 1 ? (b. ca 1849)

I forgot to note the states of birth, but it seems to me it was TN for all of them. Also, the index lists him as James W., but when I went to the census, it looked more like an M than a W.

Also on that page were Larken Rutherford -- I did not list his family but, as I recall, there was only a wife with him. They were family #2683.

Also, there was Abe Rutherford and family. Did not note the family number, but it was on the same page and probably was around #2676.

1860 Census McMinn Cty, TN, page 332, taken 26 Jul

J. M. Rutherford, 39, born TN
Nancy, 34, TN
James, 16, TN
Jacob A, 14, TN (the middle initial was a little hazy but I couldn't see it as an H)
Thomas, 12, TN
William, 10, TN
Elizabeth Jane, 8, TN (could Nancy be a nickname?)
Clarinda, 4, TN
David C., 1, TN

So it is all in one place, am also going to include the 1870 census you have for this family.

1870 Milam Cty, TX, page 325

James M. Rutherford, 48, SC
Nancy, 44, TN
William, 17, TN
Nancy, 16, TN
Mary, 14, TN (this must be the Clarinda that was in the 1860 census)
David, 12, TN
Margarett, 8, TN
John, 6, TN

(PS., just about bet that William should have shown 19 and Nancy as 18. All the other ages are consistent.)

Also in 1860 TN was this family. looks a whole lot better for her parents than James and Nancy.

1860 Union Cty, TN, Page 471.

Maston Rutherford, 40, day laborer, TN
Kissey, 38, TN
Jacob, 12, TN
Nancy, 9, TN ? (b. ca 1851)
Jeremiah, 7, TN
Lewis, 6, TN
Alvis, 4, TN
Elizabeth, 6 months, TN.

Unfortunately, I could not track this family anywhere else. I looked in the indexes of TN, and I looked in the indexes of Texas. Could not find them in 1850 or 1870. I think I even tried SC and NC, I can't remember now. But obviously, if these folks were born in TN, one would expect to find them in TN in 1850. Maybe they were polled to a relative.

There was one more possibility in 1860 Tennessee.

1860 Tipton Ct, TN, page 349.

Benj F. Rutherford, 49, TN, farmer
Elizabeth, 44, GA
Elizabeth J or F, 19, TN
Thomas, 17, TN
Richmond, 15, TN
William, 12, TN
Nancy, 9, TN
Daniel T., 7, TN

This family was also in Tipton County in 1850 and 1870. I did not look up those census reports. But, both were listed as B. F. Rutherford. I can look them up if it would seem important.

Now, I also looked into 1870 Milam Cty Texas where a James L. Rutherford lived right next door to Jacob H. Rutherford; families polled #910 and #911.

James L. Rutherford, 24, TN
Rebecca, 26, TN
Jacob, 4, TN
James, 2, TX
Marcus, 5 months, TX

Jacob H. Rutherford, 22, TN
Fannie, 19, TX (this is our Frances Cloud)

Because they lived next door, one would suspect they were related. James M. and Nancy had boys named James and Jacob, but although the ages are consistent in the 1850 and 1860 census, if the ones I found in Texas are their children both their ages are off by two years. One year I can handle, but not two. But, Jacob's age does match that of the son of Maston Rutherford. So does Nancy's age.

Any help is appreciated and solicited.

thanks, Tom Cloud <cloud-at-peaches.ph.utexas.edu>
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tom_cloud 3 Dec 2002 2:57PM GMT 
MichaelCloud4... 8 Sep 2003 5:49PM GMT 
nwiebe36 11 Jan 2014 9:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions