Search for content in message boards

GREENE

Replies: 6
Posted: 2 Feb 1999 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Jan 2002 10:07PM GMT
Surnames: GREENE
Looking for information about the following people who lived in Commanche, TX between 1870-1930:

Jefferson Washington "Boss" GREENE (U.S. Marshall)
Dora NABORS m J.W. GREENE, address was P.O. Box 1, Commanche, TX brother of Bakey NABORS the indian fighter.
Lucy GREENE m. Eugene THOMAS (phone line business)
Jeffie Adris GREENE m Harry W. ERWIN (Standard Oil)

I have traced my GREENE heritage back to Francis Maston GREENE of Richmond, VA b, 1814 m Nannie REYNOLDS b 1818 (daughter of Col. Benjamin REYNOLDS and Catherine Allen of KY). They moved to Franklin County, AL (Russellville). During the Civil War, the house was destroyed by a fire and the family move to the Commanche, TX area around 1870. The children of Francis and Nannie are:

1. Francis Avery GREENE injured at Missionary Ridge in 1863.

Died and buried in Macon, GA in 1863-4.
2. William Beverly GREENE died during Civil War and was buried in Murfreesboro, TN.
3. Maston REYNOLDS GREENE b. Oct 14, 1848 injured in Civil War (two broken legs).

Survived and died in 1877 (buried in Commanche, TX)
4. Virginia Catherine GREENE m L.M. Drake d 1899 (buried in Commanche, TX)
5. Jefferson Washington GREENE b Apr 27, 1846 d 1890 (buried in Commanche, TX)

5.1 Jeff GREENE died shortly after birth or Typhoid

5.2 Lucy GREENE m. Eugene THOMAS

5.2.1 Jeffie Ardis THOMAS (my grandmother!)

5.3 Ossie GREENE

5.4 Cyril GREENE m. Cleo MARSHALL

5.5 Nannie GREENE m. Leverit LITTLE

5.6 Berta "Kick" GREENE m. Herbert Goodson
6. Ann America GREENE m ??? WEAVER (lived in Sidney, TX of Commanche, County)

Unfortunately there are no descendants of my GREENE family with the surname GREENE beyond Jeff GREENE who died as a young baby boy (buried in Commanche, TX). Ossie GREENE m Irene ??? and had two daughters: Margaret & Jane.

Francis Maston GREENE's father and grandfather's name was William. His mother's name was Polly. My family documents state that we are related to Nathanael GREENE of the revolutionary war. I do not know why the GREENE family move from VA to AL. During the Civil War, the GREENE family split and some moved to New York to support the Union. There was a Fancis V. GREENE who was a police commissioner in NY. Francis' siblings were:

Polly GREENE lived in VA (never married)
Jeff GREENE lived in VA (never married)
America GREENE m. ??? Tanner and lived in TN; raised a large family; oldest son named William
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
NOLAErwin 2 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
mtw_old_booki... 3 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
NOLAErwin 3 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT 
chelsey31 10 Apr 2003 11:01PM GMT 
David_Erwin 11 Apr 2003 2:15AM GMT 
pambladine16 15 Jul 2013 8:40PM GMT 
pambladine16 15 Jul 2013 8:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions