Search for content in message boards

Alexander Elliot Hodge

Replies: 2

Re: Alexander Elliot Hodge

Posted: 28 Nov 2013 10:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi, I just wanted to contact you and mention that I am also interested in the potential of other children born to Alexander E Hodge before he was married to Elizabeth Barnhill.

My ancestor Sarah Ann Bass was born in 1838 and her sister Mary Jane was born in 1836, both in Texas. Their mother Ann Bass received land through Ft. Bend county in 1838, so their father was already gone when they were very young and nobody knows much about him. I always thought their father was Edward Bass because their mother Ann lists herself as "widow of Edward Bass" on many city directories in the 1880s and 90s. I assumed he died late 1837-early '38.

However, I recently found the death record for Sarah Ann, and her father is listed as "Elliot Hodge" (birthplace Unknown) rather than the expected Edward Bass. I've never seen that name, and since it is so specific, I assume it must be true or mean something.

I have been searching for people named Elliot Hodge who were in Texas at that time and born between ~1790-1815, and the only likely candidate I can find is Alexander E Hodge. But I'm not sure what the circumstances would be for him to be the father of Sarah Ann and Mary Jane. I don't believe that Ann Bass could've ever been his wife, since there is no marriage record and Ann is alive (and apparently a single mother) until 1898. And yet, an Elliot Hodge is randomly listed on this death certificate from 1910.

I feel as though this will be a hard mystery to solve.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
brookevegas1 1 Aug 2010 1:46AM GMT 
PaSain 1 Aug 2010 7:11AM GMT 
ROrtel 28 Nov 2013 5:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions