Search for content in message boards

Challenge request: William J. Lackey and wife Nancy (Nicie) Smith

Replies: 0

Challenge request: William J. Lackey and wife Nancy (Nicie) Smith

Posted: 4 Feb 2010 8:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Here is a real puzzler I want to find out about. The parents of Nancy Smith Lackey were Samuel Smith (1797 GA -> MS -> LA -> ? in 1866) and Elizabeth Freeman Smith (1805->SC ->MS ->? in 1866) My husband is descended from that Smith line and where the Samuel Smith's went in 1866 had always been the brick wall (as well as going back farther along that male line). Okay, I discovered by reading church records from Louisiana that in 1866 they requested a letter of membership. Since they were members in good standing and the daughter (Nancy) and son in law (William J. Lackey) also requested letters, I decided this meant that the families decided to emigrate--but where?

The Lackey search led me to discover that Elizabeth Freeman was a member of their household in Williamson county TX in 1870. Samuel Smith not listed, so we assume he died there. Then, the family moved between 1870 and 1880 to Tom Green county. I found William J. Lackey and wife Nancy and family in the 1880 census but not Elizabeth. Did she die or go to live with someone else? I believe Samuel and Elizabeth are buried in Williamson county, but have not found obituaries or cemetery records. Because they were very involved in Baptist church before moving, I assume they would join a Baptist church in new home also, but, no records. We believe some descendents still live in Tom Green, Lavaca and Concho county.

So, the call is going out to the Lackey clan! I have a tremendous amount of information about the Smith side of our family and would be delighted both to share it and to welcome newly found cousins. Anybody out there know the descendents of William J. and Nancy Smith Lackey? I do have some information about their descendents, but have not been able to find living descendents. If you know anyone or have information, please respond!

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions