Search for content in message boards

Rev. EC Burroughs

Replies: 3

Rev. EC Burroughs

Posted: 15 Oct 2012 7:41PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Burroughs
I'm looking for information on my grandfather Rev. Edward Chapman Burroughs in the Dallas County area of Alabama. According to his own handwritten final wishes statement, he wrote the following:
"I was Baptized the 2nd Sunday in Oct. 1883 by Rev. Wm Madison D.D. I Join the Good Hope Baptist Church, Browns, Ala. In 1883 we got letters from Good Hope church and organized the Central Baptist Church, Massillon, Ala. (We three. viz. Daniel Burroughs, Rosanna Burroughs and EC Burroughs were the beginning of the Central Baptist Church.)
I was licensed to preach the gospel in April the 6th, 1886 from Central Baptist Church. In 1885, I married Miss Selest Fuller, three children were born, in 1889, one died, two still lives.
In 1889, I was ordained to preach the gospel; and pasturing the two churches, viz. Mt. Arratt and Bethel, Marion, Ala. From Mr. Arratt to Lillie-grove, Hamburg Perry County, Ala. From Bethel to Central Baptist Church, Felix, Ala. From Lillie-grove 1894 to the Mt. Zion Baptist Church, Selma, Ala.
I pastured the Mt. Zion Baptist Church at Selma over 23 years. I finished school in 1911 after which I moved to B’ham Ala and have pastured several churches here in Jefferson County. "
I'm looking for any information concerning my grandfather Burroughs. I did find confirmation in the Cyclopedia of Colored Baptists in Alabama, that he served as a minister in the Dallas County area in the late 1800s. I have been unable to find the Central Baptist Church or any church historical records. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
sgatling113 16 Oct 2012 1:41AM GMT 
HL2604 16 Oct 2012 3:58AM GMT 
HL2604 16 Oct 2012 4:24AM GMT 
sgatling113 16 Oct 2012 5:13PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions