Search for content in message boards

Jonas Brown & Susie,James Brown & Jincy,Nancy Brown,Susan McCurley Younger,Jonas Brown McCurley,Chickasaw VS.SARAH PALMER,Moseby

Replies: 1

Jonas Brown & Susie,James Brown & Jincy,Nancy Brown,Susan McCurley Younger,Jonas Brown McCurley,Chickasaw VS.SARAH PALMER,Moseby

Posted: 2 Mar 2014 10:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Mar 2014 1:07AM GMT
Hi,
This is my Brown Family Line : This is a LONG post but VERY worth the read ! If you read through it all ,Hopefully you can connect the dots.I was not exactly sure just how to write this out .So I am just going to send some of the highlights :)

7X Great Grandparents: Jonas Brown & "Susie" .
6X Great Grandparents: Maj.James Brown & "Jincy"
5X Great Grandparents: Nancy Brown b.21 Feb 1782 & Abraham McCurley
4X Great Grandparents: Susanne McCurley b.06 Jan 1807 Allen,KY& Joseph W.Younger
3X Great Grandparents: Alice Estelle Younger b. 11 SEP 1850 IL. & Frank B.Hall b.1840 ME.
2X Great Grandparents: Cora Alberta Hall b. 25 JUN 1866 & George John Witzigman
1X Great Grandparents: Sybil Ella Witzigman b.22 SEP 1892 -1999 ( 106 yrs old) & Sig Tafil.
Grandfather William Tafil
My Mother
Myself

My Grandma Susanne "Susan" McCurley listed above married Joseph W,Younger in1824 Maury County TN. In 1832 Joseph Younger was Converted to Mormonism.( Lucky for me & maybe for you, the Mormons kept lots of early RECORDS ! :)
Of which over the last 20 yrs I have found many.
In the 1840's Joseph Younger & Susan McCurley Younger were living mostly in Illinois.
In 1842 Joseph ,Susan and their Daughter Polly Jane Younger b.1825 TN were Baptized in the Missouri River in Nauvoo,Illinois for their DECEASED Relatives.They called it "Proxy Baptism"
Records:
Susan Younger was the Proxy baptized for:

Deceased:Miriam Ashley
Proxy's relationship to deceased:Susan Younger was the Cousin of Miriam Ashley
Date of proxy baptism: 11 September 1842 ( Evening)

Deceased: John Brown
Proxy's relationship: Susan Younger was the Cousin of John Brown
Date of proxy baptism: 11 September 1842 (Evening)

Deceased: Jonas Brown
Proxy's relationship:Susan Younger was the Granddaughter of Jonas Brown
Deceased: Susan Brown
Proxy's relationship:Susan Younger was the Granddaughter of Susan Brown
Deceased: Margaret Dwelly
Proxy's relationship:Susan Younger was the Sister of Margaret Dwelly

Deceased: Ruth Gallawa ( Gallaway )
Proxy's relationship:Susan Younger was the Niece of Ruth Gallawa

Deceased: Abraham McCurley
Proxy's relationship: Susan Younger was the Daughter of Abraham McCurley

Deceased: Ezekiel McCurley
Proxy's relationship: Susan Younger was the Niece of Ezekiel McCurley

Deceased: Jesse McCurley
Proxy's relationship: Susan Younger was the Niece of Jesse McCurley

Deceased: John McCurley
Proxy's relationship:Susan Younger was the Niece of John McCurley

Deceased:Thomas McCurley
Prox'ys relationship: Susan Younger was the Sister of Thomas McCurley

Deceased: Winney McCurley
Proxy's relationship: Susan Younger was the Granddaughter of Winney McCurley

Deceased: James Reilly
Proxy's relationship: Susan Younger was the Niece of James Reilly

, Joseph Younger was the Proxy Baptized for:
Date of Proxy Baptism:1841

Deceased:John Ashley
Proxy's relationship to deceased: Joseph Younger was the Cousin-in-law of John Ashley

Deceased: Margaret Freeman
Proxy's relationship:Joseph Younger was the cousin-in-law of Margaret Freeman

Deceased: Younger Green
Proxy's relationship: Joseph Younger was the Second Cousin of Younger Green.

Deceased: Jane Timmons
Proxy's relationship: Joseph Younger was the Cousin-in-law of Jane Timmons

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Through all the years & all the various family branches.We all knew that Our Grandma Nancy Brown was Indian.The question was ...Was she Cherokee,Chickasaw ? The records seem to cross over quite a bit when it comes to her father James Brown.And then I found the CASE of "CHICKASAW NATION VS.SARAH PALMER " Where 29 People were taking their case to Court. All of them related to MARY MOSEBY

One of the 29 listed , my G.G.G. Uncle JONAS BROWN McCURLEY brother of my Grandma SUSAN YOUNGER.
In his RECORD of this suit ,he says that JONAS BROWN & SUSIE were his Grandparents.That JAMES BROWN was the Father of his Mother NANCY BROWN.

IKE WILLIAMS gives a sworn statement for Jonas Brown McCurley that he remembers five sons of JONAS BROWN by the names of Jonas, Jim,George,Donnelly & Henry
He goes on to say that :
GEORGE was called " Tesh-A-Humby" (Spellings from Court paper )
DONNELLY was called " Im-Ma-Ha-La-Tubby"
HENRY was called "Tul-Le-Char"
CHICKASAW JONAS was called "---------------- " ( I guess they could not read it,it is missing)

*** I have read record accounts from Books etc.of James Brown &
a "Im-Ma-Ha-La-Tubbe" (Note spelling for him from above) Both signing Chickasaw treaties. I can only guess he may have been "Donnelly" son of James Brown.

JOHN RITCHIE : gives a statement for Jonas Brown McCurley I knew JONAS BROWN at Allen,KY.I know PRISCILLA BROWN a Sister of JONAS BROWN and Aunt of Jonas Brown McCurley. ( My Grandma Susan McCurley Younger was born in Allen ,KY 1807)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About "JUDGE BROWN"
The mention of "Judge Brown" was passed down through most of our family lines as well.And somewhere I have a paper that mentions him in an article for one of my Aunts ,Daughters of Susan Younger. It was for Caroline Younger Ramge or Juliette Younger Babbit.I will have to find it. '

*I just received more documents this week from Utah ,photocopies from 1846 the information comes from Susan Younger herself and once again it clearly says McCurley...All of the old Documents etc I have say McCurley, McKerly..McCearly

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is getting long and I do not want to confuse anyone.So I will stop for now.
But I just thought I would point out some of the Highlights and share what I know.

You can see the connections of my Grandfather James Brown ,John Brown being baptized by his Cousin-,My Grandma Susan Younger in Nauvoo,Read the connections of Jonas Brown & Sons .See the McCurley Great Uncles being mentioned..Ezekiel ,Joseph etc etc..Some of the Great McCurley Uncles also had Indian wives and their children applied for or are on some of the Rolls I believe.

It is just my line that had no luck I believe.Yet it is my line that has some of the OLDEST known records available to us ,Signed treaties.,Hand written Church records etc.They were listed from the 1st known records.
But were denied Chickasaw citizenship in the end .If they only knew then...What we ,know now ! LOL :)

Bye for now,
Leni
lenitajo@yahoo.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lenitajo 3 Mar 2014 5:21AM GMT 
lenitajo 3 Mar 2014 7:56AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions