Search for content in message boards

information

Replies: 3

Re: information

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 11:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pettis
Hi,

Ellendon must have died after the 1850 Census and before Moses married Lucy.

Moses Pettus
Married: 3 July 1859, Terrell Co., Georgia
Lucy H. Walker
Source: Georgia Marriages 1808-1967, www.familysearch.org

Moses was a Justice of the Peace in 1854 in Dougherty County, Georgia.
Source: "History and Reminiscences of Dougherty County Georgia", compiled by members of Thronateeska Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, Albany, Georgia, 1924, p. 90.

As you probably know in 1860 the family was living in Terrell Co., GA.

They must have moved to Alabama after that time.

M. W. Pettus
Also Known As: Moses W. Pettis
Event: Military Service, Private
Side: Confederate
State: Alabama
Military Unit: 6th Regiment, Alabama Infantry
company: E
General Note: Original filed under Mos W./Pettis
NARA Publication Title: Index to Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in organizations from the State of Alabama
Source: U. S. Civil War Soldiers Index, www.familysearch.org

Moses Pettis
Enumberation Date: 17 Aug 1870
Schedule Type: Agriculture
Acres of Land Improved: 100
Woodland: 300
Present Cash Value Land $700; implements $20
Livestock; horses, 6, cows 8, oxen 2, swine 30, value of all $1,010
Bushels grain crops: 600 Indian corn and 50 oats
Source: Selected U. S. Federal Census Non-Population Schedules 1850-1880

Moses Pettis
Born: abt. 1803, Georgia
Died: 4 March 1876, Mountain Peak, Ellis, Texas
Source: Edwards-Hill Family Tree, ancestry.com

This information should be validated since no source was provided. You might want to contact the owner and most larger libraries provide free access to Ancestry with a local library card.

I searched through the Mountain Peak (also known as Hopewell) Cemetery listings that I found online but didn't find any Pettis burials. You might want to contact the people who indexed the Cemetery.

Ellis County TXGenWeb, www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txellis/cemetery/cemintro.htm

USGenWeb Archives, www.usgwarchives.net/tx/ellis/cemetery.html

Cemeteries of Ellis County Texas, www.cemeteries-of-tx.com/Etx/Ellis/ListEllis.html

I looked through online deaths and obituaries but didn't find him.

I think you're going to have to investigate Deeds and probate records. There is a list of microfilms available at the University of Texas-Austin, www.tsl.state.tx.us/arc/local/ellis.html. They won't lend them to you so you'll have to go to your local library and request a inter-library transfer of the microfilm.

There are a couple of books that might contain more information about the family. There is a list of these books at the Portal to Texas History, http://texashistory.unt.edu/explore/collections/DGRE/browse/. Again you can't request to see a copy of the book but your local library can.

Another source for Ellis County books is the WorldCat, www.worldcat.org/.

There is a Mountain Peak community history web site, http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mtpeaktx/HMMorgan.ht... which contains info about his daughter Elizabeth Jane King Pettis who married Lewis Bryant Cooper. According to the web site, she was buried in Mountain Peak Cemetery too.

I looked up the cemetery in findagrave.com and it's six miles south of downtown Midlothian to the west of the intersection of FM663 and FM875. There is a picture of the entrance which is next to a Baptist Church and the church's sign is readable in the pic. They might have more info about who is buried in the cemetery.

I didn't find Lucy Pettis's death info either. Successful Searching!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
3boycats 12 Sep 2012 7:27PM GMT 
judyartley53 3 Feb 2013 6:24AM GMT 
RBestrom7380 4 Feb 2013 12:35AM GMT 
3boycats 5 Mar 2013 4:27AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions