Search for content in message boards

Thomas J.O.Monroe marriage to Fannie Boswell

Replies: 4

Re: Thomas J.O.Monroe marriage to Fannie Boswell

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 4:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am the brother of Suzanne Kaufman-Hall. I, too, am trying to find out info on my grand-parents. There is a book that Stuart Lake wrote about Wyatt Earp. He, according to Wyatt Earp and mentioned in Stuart Lake's book, that one one the most dangerous "gun-men" that he ever encountered was "Tom Monroe," one of the cowboys from Texas that travelled north to Dodge City, Kansas, from the Stephenville,Texas area annually. As best as I can discover, my great-grandfather, Thomas Jefferson Monroe (Ousley), worked as a cowboy out of Stephenville, Texas during that period (1880's). Records show that he was a Confederate Civil War Veteran from Florida, and he made his way to Circleville, Texas--between Austin and Georgetown. I am supposing, after April 1863, following his discharge for wounds sustained, He made his way further west to Dew, Texas. This was not a far distance from Stephenville, as opposed to Florida.

Born in 1836, that would have put him in his early 30's, which could have put him in the area of Circleville area about that time. Also, according to the Ty Murray Family--a reknowned cattle rancher family since the 1860's in Stephenville, Texas-- it is possible that my great-grandfather may have worked for the family in the late 1870's or early 1880's. Wyatt Earp was a deputy Marshall in Dodge City in the early 1880's.

I am at the point that I don't know what to believe. According to the folk lore of my family, my great-grandfather was a very tough, if not ruthless, man. I hope you can help me understand my heritage.

Dan Smith
Dannymsmith51@yahoo.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
S_KaufmanHall 30 Sep 2002 1:57AM GMT 
doneservis 18 Feb 2008 3:21AM GMT 
DeeDeeKing 19 Feb 2008 2:59PM GMT 
S_KaufmanHall 21 Feb 2008 7:50PM GMT 
Danny Smith 17 Sep 2013 10:44PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions