Francis W. CAPPS, b ca 1806 in Tennessee, d ca 1865 in Marlin, Falls County, Texas. He was married
twice - his first wife (Name unknown), died in Alabama, where two sons were Born:
John Q. CAPPS, b ca 1826 in Alabama - married in 1850 in Texas to Rebecca ADAMS, b 1835 in
James A. CAPPS, b ca 1827 in Alabama, d in Falls County - was married ca 1852 to America Oakes, b
1835 in Tennessee, d before 1870 in Falls County - a daughter of Charles and Susan (Neal) Oakes, and
had four children: Letitia, b 1853, Charles F, b 1855, John , b 1862, and William Oakes CAPPS, b 1866.
James A. CAPPS served in the Confederate States Army during the Civil War.
Francis W. CAPPS married second, ca 1839, to Mary America (maiden name unknown), b ca 1820 in
Tennessee. When they moved to Texas in 1841 with their one year old daughter, born in Mississippi, they
settled on Blue Ridge (present day Stranger, in Falls County), where they bought 320 acres of land, and
resided there and farmed until they moved to Marlin.
After the new county of Falls was created in 1850, Francis W. CAPPS was active in its development. On
March 31, 1851, he and Ashley Stephen Marlin (a son of John Marlin) were appointed election judges fpr
a second election. Three men from the Blue Ridge area (Stranger) were appointed to select lots for
churches in the town of Marlin; and Francis W. CAPPS selected a lot one block south on Williams Street
for the Methodist Church; Larkin Rogers selected a site one block west of present-day Fortune and Perry
Streets; and Reverend Zachariah Nehemiah Morrell seleted a site on Craik Street, one block north of the
courthouse square, for the Baptist Church.
When town lots went on sale, CAPPS purchased 1/2 acre of land, which included AdamsÂ’ Spring at the
foot of Ward Hill - adjoining the property of Dr. Allensworth ADAMS. The two men established the
ADAMS - CAPPS Hotel, probably the first such establishment in the town. Adams later sold his
property to J.W. PERKINS and moved back to Robertson County.
By April 1853, Francis W. CAPPS was serving as a Commissioner of Falls County, and he and a son,
John Q. CAPPS were appointed Â“PatrolersÂ” for a three-month term. At this same meeting, it was decided
that the County Court would rescind its saleof 1/2 acre of land to CAPPS because they wanted to own
AdamsÂ’s Spring to furnish water to the town. CAPPS was ordered to choose another 1/2 acre as a
substitute, and it is believed that he lived on Capps Street, which was named for him. Yet another
decision affecting Francis W. CAPPS was made in that April 1853 meeting of the County Court. It was
oredered that an allowance up to $1,145, out of State Tax Funds, be made to F.W. CAPPS to build a jail.
A year later, June 1854, CAPPS, Allen H. MORRELL ( a son of Reverend Z.N. MORRELL), and James
Long were ordered to draft a plan and contract for building a bridge across Big Creek on the
Marlin-Springfield Road, by way of Blue Ridge (Stranger). This bridge became known as Â“ParsonÂ’s
Bridge (so named for John PARSONS, who owned land in that area), and was the landmark used in
surveying school district in Falls County for 100 years.
Francis W. CAPPS served as a County Commissioner until 1856, when he was elected the third Chief
Justice of Falls County - serving through the Civil War to 1864.
The children of Francis W. CAPPS and his second wife, Mary America, were:
Marilla Elizabeth CAPPS, b 1840 in Mississippi - married 12-28-1854 to James W. WHEELER.
Iola Letitia CAPPS, b 1842 in Texas - married March 27, 1862 in Falls County, Texas to Dr. David G.
ADAMS, b 1830 in Missouri.
William CAPPS, b 1844 in Texas - was unmarried in 1870.
Jennett CAPPS, b 1846 in Texas - married September 28, 1869 in Falls County, Texas to William
FULLER, b 1828 in South Carolina, and purchased a farm in the Alto Springs area of East Falls County,
which they later sold.
George W. CAPPS, b 1848 in Texas - married in 1870 to A.J. (only initials were used). They resided with
GeorgeÂ’s widowed mother when the 1870 Census was recorded.
Martha Ella CAPPS, b 1853 in Texas.
Francis M. CAPPS, b 1855 in Texas.
Thomas J. CAPPS, b 1857 in Texas.
David G. CAPPS, b 1859, died before 1870.
Judge Francis W. CAPPS died in Marlin during his tenure as Chief Justice, and William R. Reagan was
appointed to complete his term. Judge CAPPS served during the infancy of the State School System, only
to have its progress halted by the Civil War. He was a true pioneer and patriot of Falls County. His
second wife, Mary America, died in 1877. The site of their burial has not been located.
Copyright Permission granted to Theresa Carhart for printing the biographies of these
Falls County Families to this Web page.
"Families of Falls County", Compiled and Edited by the Falls County Historical
Commission, page 67, Column 1 and 2
Member of Falls County Historical Commission.
This book can still be obtained from the Falls County Historical Commission. Contact me