Search for content in message boards

moree in Fannin county texas

Replies: 6

moree in Fannin county texas

Posted: 8 Sep 2001 2:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moree,Bales
In Regards to James John Moree who was married to Katherine Lindsey, had two sons Charley and Joe and supposedly died in 1879... He was also the older brother to Shade Moree.( Info from the 1880 census in Tenn.. which showed Katie as a widow. info garnered from James Marie)

I don't think he really was dead. Maybe they thought he was dead and he came back later.

Here is what I have found out in the past few weeks that is leading me to
believe that James John was not dead at all and I suspect he was my great great grandfather John C Moree.

My great grandmother Mary Frances Moree was born in 1890 in Knoxville Tennessee to John and Katie Lindsey Moree.
She had two older brothers Charley and Joe Moree.
They moved to Fannin County, Texas about or at least by 1895.
Coincidently, Shade Moree (who was William John's younger brother) moved to Lamar County Texas ( neighboring county) at about the same time.
I do have a stepdaughter of one of John and Katie's sons ( Will C. Moree) who says she remembers being told that Shade Moree was his Uncle.
I have not found John and Katie in the 1900 census yet but I have found them in the 1910 census living next to their son Joe.
He is listed as John C. Moree and as being as being born in Tennessee and 56 years old in the 1910 Fannin County Texas census. The Census was taken on 4/22/1910. That would put him being born in 1854 or 1855 depending on birthday. We have William John listed as being born 1855 in the 1880 Tenn. census.
Wife Katie is listed as being born 1861 in the 1880 Tenn. census and the 1910 Texas census lists her as being 50 years old and born in Tennessee. Which puts her being born in 1860 or 1861 depending on birthday.
Son Joe Moree is listed in the 1910 census as being born in Tennessee and 29 years old which puts him born in 1881.The 1880 Tenn. census puts him being born about Sept.1879. Admittedly that does put him about 2 years too young BUT a persons birth date was not always absolute on a census. Sometime the people didn't know their exact birthdate or perhaps the 1880 census was off.
I have found Charley Moree ( abbreviated to Char.) in the 1920 census in Fannin County Texas. He is shown to be born in Tennessee and 42 years old which would put his birth date as 1878. The exact date of his birthdate shown in the 1880 Tenn. census.
The only thing that casts a doubt that William John is John C. is the name difference he used in Texas and that Katie listed herself as a widow in 1880. Perhaps William John became wanted for something in Tennessee?Or perhaps the less dramatic reason is it just isn't uncommon for the census to be off on names.
However, I see no one has found death record of John, Katie or the boys anywhere in Tennessee yet.

I would think that explains why no deaths are recorded for Katherine and her two boys. They came to Texas after her husband came back.
I have considered that perhaps she remarried to a John C Moree but my grandmother or her sister do not remember anyone saying her Uncles and Aunts had different fathers. And James Marie ( Moree researcher) says as far as he knows there wasn't a John C Moree for her to marry in Tennessee in those frame of years.

My grandmother says that they use to call women who were deserted as
widowed. Maybe he did and took off, got jailed or just came back later after he changed his mind. Or since he was the older brother.. maybe he had left to scope out Texas and they
figured he died and then he came back after sometime after the 1880 census.

I have a picture of him and his wife ( John & Katie Moree) and most of the kids. It was taken in the early 1900s Abt. 1907. My great uncle Mack ( the youngest child) is in it about 5 years old and he was born in 1902. The Patriarch, John C. Moree, was a good looking man. In fact the whole family was striking :-)

John C Moree was alive for the 1910 Census but by 1920 Katie is again listed as widow and living with her son Joe.

Still looking for them in the Texas 1900 census and trying to find a death record also for John and Katie. So far no luck.

Don't you think this is a lot more than coincidence and I have enough to believe that William John Moree and John C. Moree are one and the same??

If anyone has any other info for me I would appreciate it.

thanks,

Penny Pearson

PS. John and Katie Moree had these known children
Charley, Joe, Mary,Will,Wesley, Ellen, Della, Mack
I am currently seeking the decendants of those Moree's also.

John and Katies daughter Mary Frances Moree later married AD Bales and I am decended from them.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Pennlou 8 Sep 2001 8:05PM GMT 
DonMoree 25 Jul 2012 9:17PM GMT 
HL2604 26 Jul 2012 12:39AM GMT 
HL2604 27 Jul 2012 2:50PM GMT 
suzie5406 27 Jul 2012 4:18PM GMT 
HL2604 28 Jul 2012 3:23AM GMT 
DonMoree 18 Nov 2012 11:46PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic