Search for content in message boards

Aden & Hannah Moore

Replies: 2

Re: Aden & Hannah Moore

Posted: 30 Aug 2013 12:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore-Phillips-Gaddy-Rogers
My cousin who just turned 102 years old and wrote, "Grass Roots; 80 years in Bailey County," Frances Gaddy Stegall writes of Hannah, "My grandfather, James William [Anderson] Gaddy . . . His mother, Sarah Hannah Qutma was one-fourth Choctaw Indian. Probably from the Indian territory of Oklahoma. We have never been able to trace her lineage.

She seems to have been fourteen when she married a white man by the name of Moore. They had one child, a daughter named Sophranie, before he was killed. How, no one knows. She married another white man, Phillips, and he too died.

She married my great-grandfather [James William Alexander Gaddy] who seemed to have been a hired hand, coming from England with his parents. He lived in the household of Register Elkins. My great-grandfather and great-grandmother had a son, my grandfather. [James William Anderson Gaddy] Then my great-grandfather was called into the Civil War, dying at the Battle of Shiloh," [jbeal: I read somewhere that JWA Gaddy did not die IN the battle of Shiloh, but rather from water contamination. I don't remember where I read this.] (All of this is in Chapter 15 of Frances' book.)

My cousin Frances goes on to say, "Great Grandma Hannah, now a widow, was living in Fannin County [TX}.... He [Dad] was about fourteen now and nearly grown. They had very few gins in 1900, so after a day in the field, he and [his] Grandma would sit beside the fireplace at night and pick the cotton off the seed.

This was common practice, and Grandma would tell Dad stories of when she lived with her Indian people. She'd smoke her corncob pipe and tell Dad stories. Sometimes he would ask if her people ever scalped a white person. 'Not if they didn't get in the way,' she'd say."

Frances went on to say, "When I was about forty years old, I remember Daddy talking about his grandma, Hannah, as they called her, and his grandfather, William. Daddy said his grandfather was English and his grandma was Choctaw.

The picture I have of Great Grandpa Gaddy was hand painted. But it shows him to resemble my cousin, Jerrel Gaddy [MY dad: jerre gaddy beal] and my grandson, Brett Stegall.

Great Grandma Sarah Hannah Qutma Gaddy's picture is also very old, but it is a tin-type and hand painted. It shows her Indian blood, with the black eyes and hair and dark skin.

She was noted for her high temper...She was a small little thing. Not much taller than four and a half feet. She smoked a corncob pipe and wasn't afraid of any man she ever saw.

After Moore, Phillips, and Gaddy, her three husbands died, she was at the age of twenty-five. She married one more time to Jessee Rogers. And the family always said that she ran old Jesse off and lived alone on her little farm in Fannin County, clse to the line of Oklahoma. She died at the age of eighty.

She relied on her son, Grandpa [James William Anderson Gaddy], to look after her financially. She had a small farm in Fannin County and could have proved up on her Indian line and been given land in the black gold region of Oklahoma. But she refused to do this. Her small farm kept her in all the things she needed."

Hope this helps those looking for more on Sarah Hannah Qutma Moore-Phillips-Gaddy-Rogers!

Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ann Moore 12 Dec 2001 4:03AM GMT 
shadera 6 May 2002 5:09PM GMT 
jerre_beal 30 Aug 2013 6:40PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic