Search for content in message boards

Are there any Texas or Oklahoma "Lynch" families who remember?....

Replies: 4

Are there any Texas or Oklahoma "Lynch" families who remember?....

Posted: 22 May 2007 10:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Mar 2011 10:32AM GMT
Surnames: Lynch, Suggs, Barker, Cooper, Welch, Powers, Kilmer, Ridgeway, Scott
I'm diligently searching for the family stories and photos of my Lynch ancestors. My great grandfather, Luther Dawson "Doss" Lynch was born in 1886. Doss and his brother, John Henry Lynch, (b. 1888) were born in Fannin County, Texas, I believe. They had two full sisters, Katie Mae and Mary Ellen "Dink" Lynch. Katie Mae married Walter Riley Kilmer. Mary Ellen "Dink" married William Floyd Scott (I believe).
Their mother was Amanda Elizabeth (Suggs) Cooper Lynch.
Their father was Tom Lynch. I believe, but I am not sure, that he was a Red River County (Texas) Lynch, of which there were several.
It is possible that Tom's father was also named Tom Lynch, who had siblings named Joseph, John, Sarah, and Joab Lynch. It is also possible that Tom Lynch was married twice, first to Elizabeth Welch, and, following her death, to Mariah Jane Powers, whom I believe to be the mother of Tom Lynch, father of my ggrandfather, Luther Dawson "Doss" Lynch.
"Doss" and his brother went to Ardmore, Oklahoma when they were young boys, becoming boarders with Retta and William Kilmer (Retta and her half-sister, Katie, married Kilmer brothers) in 1900, young laborers for the railroad. Retta was their older half-sister, born to their mother, Amanda, and her first husband, George Cooper. Their sister's maiden name was Retta Mae Cooper.
Doss married Belle Winifred Barker in 1905. John married Annie Ridgeway in 1907. At that time the brothers hailed from Provence, Carter County, Oklahoma. It is possible that they were living with their mother, Amanda, there. Their father, Tom Lynch, died before 1900.
Doss's wife, Belle, had three children, Sarah E. (I would like to know what became of Sarah), Leroy Doss (my grandfather, who died in 1980 in Long Beach, California), and Dorothy Mae (Darcie), who I believe married a man whose last name was Padgett and lived in Bakersfield, Kern County, California.
I have census info for Luther Doss Lynch and his brother, John Henry, from 1900 through 1930, along with WWI applications.
I have located the death certificate and obituary for my great grandfather, Luther Dawson "Doss" Lynch, but I have never seen a photo of him. He died 18 May, 1950,at his home southwest of Oklahoma City. Doss was a retired Santa Fe Railroad worker. He is buried in Sunny Lane Cemetery.
If any of this information triggers a memory or reminds you of a photo or story long forgotten, I would really appreciate any insight you may give.
Thank you and blessings on your searches!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
FamilyLife333 23 May 2007 4:01AM GMT 
togotrent1 13 Apr 2013 1:08PM GMT 
suzie5406 13 Apr 2013 2:10PM GMT 
MThoeni2002 13 Apr 2013 6:16PM GMT 
FamilyLife333 13 Apr 2013 2:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions