Search for content in message boards

James and Mary Clark, Bethany Cawthon to 1880

Replies: 0

James and Mary Clark, Bethany Cawthon to 1880

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 3:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Feb 2013 4:10PM GMT
For all the great sleuths on the Fannin County website: I am looking for the date of death or burial place of James Clark and Mary (Cawthon Lewellen) Clark. The last time I find James and Mary is on the 1870 Fannin County census: James (42, born in Kentucky) and Mary (23, born in Missouri). Living with them is Asa J(ames) Luallen, my great grandfather and Ellen Clark age 1 born in Texas. I can find no trace of Ellen after this census.

The 1880 Fannin County census shows Betthie Clark, age 6 born in Texas, listed as a boarder, but she was living with her grandmother, Bethany Cawthon, and her aunt, Ella Cawthon. Bethany Cawthon died shortly after the census on August 7, 1880. She is buried in Smyrna (Lannius) Cemetery. Her headstone was erected by the Dodd City AM & AF Lodge 407. I was told that one of the members took the lodge records with him and no one knows where they are.

On , Oct 1, 1880, Ella Cawthon married Eli Franklin (Frank) McDowell in Fannin, TX.

I am SO stumped. I cannot find where James and Mary Clark are buried, any trace of the two girls, Ellen and Betthie Clark, or the reason the Masonic Lodge erected Bethany Cawthon’s headstone.

Any help would be appreciated. My email is bigsis1010@yahoo.com

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions