Search for content in message boards

Hunter/Downs/Hill families

Replies: 4

Hunter/Downs/Hill families

Posted: 28 Nov 2007 3:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for some help to solve what appears to be two cemeteries with quite a number of the same people (including several surnames) listed as buried there. The two cemeteries in question are located @160 miles apart. I will show the cemetery listings below for comparison along with other details in hope that someone can help me understand the connection between these families and locations.

First of all I am a descendant of William A. Hill (1823-1891) & Anna Adalaide "Addie" Downs (1825-1897). William A. Hill was born 31 March 1823 in South Carolina. I have no further information on who is parents may be or any siblings. His wife, Ann A. "Addie" Downs,was born 27 April 1825 in Laurens Co. SC. She was the daughter of Samuel Downs and Elizabeth L. Jones of Laurens Co., SC. This couples marriage is listed as "DOWNS Adalade, HILL William 19 Nov 1844 Laurens Co. SC" in South Carolina Marriages A-F. It appears that this family along with the family of Adalaide Downs' brother, Thomas Jones Downs, migrated from Laurens Co. SC to Mississippi between 25 September 1845 and 05 July 1846. William A. Hill and his brother in law Thomas J. Downs served with the 18th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry, Company H "Peach Creek Rangers" during the civil war out of DeSoto Co., MS. There were two other Hills listed in this unit, Hill, J.W. and Hill, W.M., but have no idea if there is any connection. I have found this family in the 1870 Census of DeSoto Co., MS living in the Arkabutla area. In approx. 1878 the families of William A. Hill and Thomas J. Downs migrated to Travis Co., TX. They are found in the 1880 Census of Travis Co., TX living in the eastern rural area of Travis County, south of the Hornsby Bend area.

According to what I had previously learned, they lived in the Hunter Bend area of Travis County. This community was built by William Dunlap Hunter. According to one source:

Hunters Bend
William Dunlap Hunter left his home in Huntersville, South Carolina in 1858 with plans to travel to California. Hunter, however, never reached his original destination. By 1859, he had settled near Hornsby Bend in eastern Travis County. His plantation, located about twelve miles east of Austin on the northern bank of the Colorado River, became a self-sufficient community known as Hunters Bend. The grounds included a blacksmith shop and two gins, as well as a garden, a greenhouse, a grape arbor, and a cemetery. Employees were paid in script that was redeemable for merchandise at the plantation's general store.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/library/ahc/outside/hunters.htm

I am not sure of the connection with the Hunter family but it appears that it involves the Downs family. All of the families originated in South Carolina.

Recently I was contacted by someone who was working on a book listing burial sites of Confederate soldiers buried in Ft Bend Co., TX. She had found William A. Hill buried in the Hunter Cemetery, Ft Bend Co, TX. Being curious I checked it out and there he was, same name and dates but approx. 160 miles away in the Dr. Johnson C. Hunter Cemetery. Comparing the names and dates listed there were other family members and people listed in the Travis County cemetery. Both were at communities of the Hunter family. Not sure if there is a connection between William Dunlap Hunter and Dr. Johnson C. Hunter, maybe someone out there knows. Online listings for these cemeteries can be found at:
http://www.home.earthlink.net/%7Ehuntercemetery/ Section II – Other Graves

ftp://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/tx/travis/cemeteries/hun...

Can't help but believe there has been a big mix up here, the names/dates are too similar, if not exact matches. If you have information concerning these families and the cemeteries please
contact me.

Rex McLaurin
rexmclrn@hotmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rexmclrn 28 Nov 2007 10:28PM GMT 
ftbendtxgen 2 Dec 2007 7:23PM GMT 
rexmclrn 3 Dec 2007 3:48AM GMT 
rexmclrn 3 Dec 2007 3:58AM GMT 
RIVAS_BEVERLY 1 Feb 2012 11:12PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions