Search for content in message boards

Campbell English grave at City Cemetery

Replies: 1

Campbell English grave at City Cemetery

Bobby Christall (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2005 11:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crisp/ Hicklin/ English/Tucker/Campbell
I have a Franklin County mystery. I descend from Campbell English 1815-1881 and 1st wife, Elizabeth Crisp English (daughter of Reddin Crisp & Ruth Hicklin) thru their daughter, Caroline English Tucker (married James Harvey Tucker).
Campbell & Elizabeth English moved into Titus/Franklin County around 1841... he had signed the petition to form Lamar County in Feb 1841 alongside his wife's uncle W.M.Crisp. Campbell English had run an add in the old Northern Standard newspaper on Dec 3rd 1845 "whereas my wife, ElizabethEnglish, has without any just cause or provocation, left my bed and board- This is therefore to notify the Public from trading or contracting any debt with her on my account, as I will not be responsible for any of her acts. /signed/Campbell English." We had thought maybe she left, as her father Redden Crisp had died about this same time. We know she returned, as documented in Deed Book F Red River County, Texas pg 320 Deed in Trust 14March 1846 "Campbell English and wife Elizabeth English, to John T. Mills in trust for our children: Thomas Reading English, Caroline Ruth English, James Enton English, Robert Benton English & Singleton Cofley English. Mills is to ask & receive of Admr Est of Reading G. Crisp, decd, father of Elizabeth, all lands & slaves allotted to share of said Elizabeth. Witnessed Edward West, Wm P. Dickson." And sure enough, when CAMPBELL ENGLISH 's will was probated at Mt.Vernon in Franklin County,Texas(1881), the lands of Reddin Crisp were separated off for Caroline Ruth's children. (Campbell English Tucker, James Harvey Tucker, & Amanda Arizona Tucker)
Here's the mystery: Singleton English & Robert Benton Enlish died and are buried next to Campbell English (1858) stating the name of their parents. In 1850 Campbell English appears on the Franklin County Texas census without a wife, and in the care of all the children. In 1851 he went over to Hopkins County and married Eliza Lackey. This is the line of Franklin County's Dr.Jabez Galt who descended from Eliza Lackey English and husband Campbell English. She died 10 years after Campbell English. She is buried near the gate of City Cemetery all alone. A very old stone say's "Eliza J.English died July 25, 1891 aged 74 years 10 months 5 days" Near the back fence where the English/Weaver/Galt family is all buried is Campbell English(and sons) and one is buried next to him and shares the same stone..."Eliza J. English Sept 20, 1816 July 25, 1891" SAME PERSON as the second wife. Can't be buried in two places... was this the original burial place of Elizabeth Crisp English... did Campbell English get buried by his first wife and sons and then the second family place a different stone for their mother to be at his side? Is this Elizabeth J. Lackey actually the same person as his first wife Elizabeth J. Crisp whom he first married in Missouri.... and then left him to marry another?!
Any clues?
Bobby
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Bobby Christall 6 Apr 2005 5:17PM GMT 
LFYoung1 28 Oct 2011 6:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic