Search for content in message boards

The Death of Robert Martin

Replies: 3

The Death of Robert Martin

Posted: 31 Dec 2010 2:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Robert (Bob) Martin was killed while being taken to jail in Leon Co. Robert was a citizen of Freestone. There was a trial held in the Leon Co. Courthouse against the person said to be the killer, Lewis Davis. The courthouse papers on the trial were eather lost or burnt during a fire at the courthouse. An 1888 Fairfield Recorder Newspaper of the time report on the killing and a 1887 artical report on Bob Martin being assulted. The Leon Co. Courthouse records include the beginning of the trial in Dec. of 1888 but the end of the trial's records are missing.
I would like to see if someone can check to Fairfield Recorder's papers for Jan, Feb, and Mar of 1889 and see if they can find the conclusion and if found guilty what sentence die Lewis Davis receive and so forth, (was he hung?)
I have contacted the Fairfield Recorder and they have no records from that date and they have suggested that I contact the Freestone County Genealogical Society.
Any help would be appreciated to get this message passed around to see if anyone could help.
Thanks
Sterling Parker
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
popsandgrandy 31 Dec 2010 9:16PM GMT 
JTLOTT44 25 Nov 2012 9:33PM GMT 
popsandgrandy 25 Nov 2012 10:39PM GMT 
JTLOTT44 26 Nov 2012 12:11AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions