Search for content in message boards

Unknown Cemetery in Dilley, Frio County, TX

Replies: 18

Unknown Cemetery in Dilley, Frio County, TX

John Hawley (View posts)
Posted: 25 Mar 2004 12:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Scroggs
I received the following e-mail message from someone interested in the aforementioned cemetery. Can anyone out there shed some light on the history of this cemetery and it's name. Also, was the Dilley Hospital built over part of this cemetery, or just next to it? Any information would be helpful. Thank you!

--------------------------------------------

I am an RN and live in San Antonio, Texas. It is possible I may be able to make a contribution or help lead someone investigate a cemetery probably lost or vanished through over 100 years of time past.

Though I never questioned, I have been aware of THIS CEMETERY that faces my van every time I park to go inside the hospital. It is about 2 1/2 acres of land. The tombstones are scarce and few. Grass grows thin but nevertheless a little out of control in some areas. It is abandoned and I doubt any one visits except wondering people like me and more recent, other nurses who I take with me to just look around during our break.

There are about 8 graves/ tombstones at most, combined. Some are gated with iron rods but are unlocked and easy to step in and read the grave sites.

About 2-3 weeks ago two of the local Nurse aides that live in Dilley told me that from time to time patients in a particular room inquire at nurse station in the morning regarding a little boy about 6-8 years old that wonders in the room during the night. Apparently, the patients report the boy sits on a chair, walks to the bathroom or stands by the window and watches outside. To this day, patients are being told that nurses are not aware of a little boy in the room and that perhaps it is a dream.

This two nurse aides report that the hospital was constructed over this cemetery and that is why only a few tombstones are left.

About 2 weeks ago, I went to see the graves and checked if there is a little boy buried there. There is a 'Billie Calvin Scroggs' born 4-28-1897, died 7-1-1903. (that made him 6 years old at time of death). There is a Millie Mae Scroogs, that accordingly, was 10 years old at time of death and both are in the same plot. I suppose they were brother and sister. However, she died one year earlier than the boy. They were the only 2 children in the cemetery.

I have looked up the name of this child, Billlie, and I am unable to find him. The good thing is that I believe in prayer. I BELIEVE, he Rests in Peace, now.

Anyway, the cemetery is along side the hospital towards the back-side area.

Going 35S, to Dilley, Texas, take Exit 84. Go left. Follow the sign taking you to the Hospital. The hospital will be on your left. Park at the hospital.

If this cemetery has any bearing on history, I sure would like to know. I am originally from Del Rio, Texas and have respect for cemeteries and was taught by my deceased parents that cemeteries are Sacred Grounds.

I have looked for the name of the cemetery and it is no where to be found. Perhaps you can research it some more. I don't have any ancestors there but somebody else does.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
John Hawley 25 Mar 2004 7:50AM GMT 
Joe Tafolla 30 Mar 2004 10:35PM GMT 
Ninfa_Carpent... 21 Jun 2014 4:44AM GMT 
Irma Cardenas 31 Mar 2004 7:26AM GMT 
John Hawley 31 Mar 2004 8:38PM GMT 
fulcherjunie 28 Apr 2008 4:51AM GMT 
Pearl Criado 21 Mar 2012 1:07AM GMT 
marie42340 25 Mar 2012 5:27AM GMT 
Pearl Criado 2 Apr 2012 5:15AM GMT 
Pearl Criado 19 May 2012 4:07AM GMT 
per page