Search for content in message boards

List of Deaths From Grayson Co.Tx. Cyclone (1896)

Replies: 7

Re: List of Deaths From Grayson Co.Tx. Cyclone (1896)

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 6:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
My G grandfather didn't die, but his son told about the Cyclone. C. Atherton was a ranch foreman for some big ranch, don't know which one. However his wife had died recently along with a newly born son. It appeared since this was the second wife he'd lost, he gave up for awhile; left the ranch and moved to some little house on the property (I have the name of the man but would have to look it up) where he was living when the storm hit. He only had his younger son Euler with him, along with ten year old daughter Annie and Julian his son, my grandfather. Anyway the storm was about to blow them away, he had the two older children leaning against a bureau placed against the door to prevent the wind from blowing it in; while he sat in the rocker, holding onto the smaller child Euler, all the while praying that God would protect them. The cyclone picked up the house and moved it to a different location on the property. They were so frightened, the next day or so, he took Annie to live with the Moody family, had already left older daughter with another family to live; then left for Galveston in a wagon with the two boys to join an older son Edward in Galveston. He later returned to the Dallas area where he died around 1898 or 1899; Euler is found in Dallas census 1900 living with a family.

Shirley Goings-Lindsey
sgoings-lindsey@sbcgobal.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mTuley6674 7 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
GoingsLindsey... 7 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Newgiterri 10 Oct 2012 6:46AM GMT 
GoingsLindsey... 22 Oct 2012 12:27AM GMT 
GoingsLindsey... 22 Oct 2012 12:28AM GMT 
per page