Search for content in message boards

Buck Kilgore

Replies: 5

Re: Buck Kilgore

Posted: 6 Oct 2012 10:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Annette -

It's been a very long time, but there are a variety of sources. If you reply and are still interested, I'll run them down for you, but here's what I can remember without help:

Constantine Buckley Kilgore (b. 1835) fought in the Civil War and was captured at Chickamauga. He became a lawyer within a couple of years after the war, was the one who sold right-of-way to the International Railroad Co in 1871, which had a big impact on the region's economy (hence naming the town after him.) He was a local judge and probably state legislator before serving three terms in the US House (there is an official biography on their website). He was then appointed federal judge in the Oklahoma Territory for a few years, retiring to Van Zandt Cty where he is buried (White Oak Cemetary, asa I recall).

A Democrat during Reconstruction, the atmosphere in Congress was, believe it or not, more acrimonious than it is today. The Dems of the day were outnunmbered to the point they lost almost every vote and regularly tried to forestall legislation by staying away in numbers that would prevent a quorum. (Sound familiar?) One time there was a vote announced which they wanted to participate in, but the Republican leadership made a last-minute schedule switch once the Dems were in the chamber and someone cleverly jammed the exit doors shut. Buck Kilgore was said to have actually kicked down a door to the U.S. House of Representatives in order to get out. (My personal reaction after amusement is horror - at some point you've got to accept things as they are - the "high principles" being fought over then were vestiges of slavery anyway, so come into the nineteenth century already dude! I say the same to many politicians of today.)

Jim Kilgore

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Annette 24 Sep 2003 1:11PM GMT 
patricia_deat... 29 Jan 2004 6:44PM GMT 
dontspamjim 7 Oct 2012 4:10AM GMT 
joycekh15 5 Aug 2013 5:47PM GMT 
HL2604 6 Aug 2013 11:51AM GMT 
joycekh15 5 Aug 2013 5:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions