Search for content in message boards

Rosa Martha Downing Henderson from AL

Replies: 1

Rosa Martha Downing Henderson from AL

Posted: 13 Jun 2012 7:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Henderson Downing Douning Dawning Downey
I have posted this on both the Haskell County board and the Jones County board.

I am trying to trace an ancestor's sister, Martha Downing, of Calhoun County, Alabama (formerly Benton County) who married Preston A Henderson and went to Texas. I have reason to believe she was also called Rose or Rosa (sometimes recorded with the initials R M Downing or M R Downing. Her husband is sometimes recorded as P A Henderson). Both were born c1830, both in Alabama.

Martha Rose Downing was the daughter of James and Mary "Polly" Downing and is listed with them on the 1850 Census for Coosa County, Alabama.

They were married on 7 Feb 1860 in Calhoun County, Alabama.

The 1860 Census shows the couple (both age 31) living in Calhoun County, Alabama at the home of Preston's probabe parents, Isaac and Cyntha [sic] Henderson. Two houses down are Martha Rose's parents, James and Mary Downing.

I believe they appear on the 1880 Census in Caldwell, Texas with three sons, John Henderson, Click Henderson (whom I believe was Preston Jr), and George Henderson, all born in Alabama. The couple is listed as "P A Henderson" age 51 and "Rose M Henderson" age 50. (I have only seen the transcription of this census, not the original document.)

Next, I find in the 1900 Census in Jones, Texas, in the household of "P A Henderson Jr" (age 32 from AL), a "P A Henderson Sr" (father, age 73 from AL) and a "M A Henderson" (mother, age 73 from AL), along with "G T Henderson" (brother, age 26 from AL). Also in Jones County, in the 1900 Census, in his own household, I found a John Henderson (age 37 from AL, with, among others, a daughter named Rosa).

I have also found at findagrave the location of graves for George T Henderson (1873 - 1963) and John W Henderson (1863-1928) along with their wives, all in Jones County.

I have not yet tracked the family down in the 1870 Census.

I believe this is the right Martha Downing, whom I know married a Henderson in the mid-1800s in Calhoun County, Alabama, and that this is the right family. Everything seems consistant with what I know of her and her family.

I am in hopes someone might know something more of this family, of Martha Rosa Downing Henderson. I'd like to find out where she is buried and if any photos exist of this family. Anything would be helpful.

Downing is sometimes transcribed as Douning, Dawning, or Downey.

Thank you for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: In the 1910 Census for Jones County, Texas, Martha Henderson (mother, age 81, from Alabama, a widow) is listed in the home of "P A Henderson" [Jr]. It states she has 4 out of 4 children living. Furthermore, an aunt is in the household as well, "Ann Downing" (age 76 from Alabama). My Martha Downing Henderson had a sister named Ann.

I've also found the Death Certificate of Rosa Martha Henderson which lists her father as James Downing. She died 2 March 1918 in Rochester, Haskell County, Texas.

If anyone can tell me the locations of the graves of these ladies, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank you again.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
beket1 14 Jun 2012 1:03AM GMT 
frankgibson90 26 Aug 2013 12:17AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions