Search for content in message boards

Researching Locke/Vines/Holcomb in Shackelford, Haskell and Jones Co.

Replies: 1

Researching Locke/Vines/Holcomb in Shackelford, Haskell and Jones Co.

Posted: 4 Feb 2014 8:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Wondering if someone can point me in the direction of a local library, or genealogical society, I could contact regarding my great, great grandparents Francis Marion Lock/Locke and Nancy Elizabeth Vines Lock/Locke. Francis is on the 1920 census living in Haskell County, Precinct 3 with his daughter Vida and son-in-law C.H. McAlister. I can not locate Francis or Nancy in any census back until 1880. I believe they lived in the area of Shackelford, Haskell and Jones County from 1911 to 1920s. We have a letter addressed to Leuders, TX, and other family members were living in these areas around the time of their deaths.

Francis Marion Lock/Locke was a blind man, working as a minister of the gospel. He also gave piano lessons. Born in 1859 in Missouri, lived in Arkansas until the 1890s before moving to Texas. He died 11/25/1923 according to family bible records. No death record has been found for him. Nancy Elizabeth Vines was born in Alabama 7/21/1851, family moved to Arkansas in the 1870s. She married Francis in Lonoke, Arkansas in 1883. She died 3/9/1920 according to bible records, and no death record has been found for her either. Kids were Grover William, Mamie Estelle, Vida, and Pearl - all born in Arkansas. The daughters married into the Holcomb, McAlister, and Dumas families who moved to this area by 1920.

Looking to contact a library to see if there would be anything on this family, but I just don't know where to start. We do not know who Francis' parents are (have a guess, but no proof). Would like to see if there is any information out there that we aren't seeing online.

Thanks!
Aymee
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
aymeebl 5 Feb 2014 3:19AM GMT 
HL2604 5 Feb 2014 6:12AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions