Search for content in message boards

Texas Ranger Dan Hines solved 2 multiple homicide cases in Athens, 1935-36

Replies: 2

Texas Ranger Dan Hines solved 2 multiple homicide cases in Athens, 1935-36

Jody Edward Ginn (View posts)
Posted: 6 Mar 2002 9:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
My name is Jody Edward Ginn. I am an Investigator with the Hays County Criminal District Attorney?s Office in San Marcos, Texas. I am currently conducting an independent research project in order to write a book about my great-great uncle Dan Hines, who served as a Texas Ranger from 1931-1936.

For this project I have been awarded the 2001 & 2002 Fred White, Jr. Research Fellowships in Texas History by the Texas State Historical Association. I also have had a travel-ready exhibit constructed containing digitally reproduced photographs, articles, and documents on Dan's service as a Ranger and as a ranchman / rodeo cowboy. Many of these items (provided b Dan?s daughter, Cherry Harrison of Columbus), had never been viewed publicly before and include famous Rangers, politicians and other notable figures. This $6,947 exhibit was funded by a grant from the Nelda C. and H.J. Lutcher Stark Foundation in Orange, Texas, and sponsored by the Former Texas Rangers Foundation. This exhibit is available to museums, libraries, etc. at no charge other than shipping costs.
I will be traveling to Athens, possibly as early as mid-April, in order to conduct research on at least two known cases that Dan solved in Henderson County in 1935-36.

One involved a tenant farmer and his family that were bludgeoned to death by their landlord. This case remained unsolved for nearly 5 years until Dan obtained a confession from the landlord, who then led Dan to where the bodies were buried on his property. I have a photo of the excavation of that gravesite. I have a newspaper article from Beaumont that referred to "the famous Patton case in Athens", I am not sure whether or not this is the same or a different case at this time.

The second case was that of and elderly couple that was murdered together in their own home, which the murderer then robbed, ransacked, and burned. The murderer in this case was sentenced to death.

If you have any information about either of these events and or Dan Hines' involvement in them, any suggestions on where to begin looking, or if you know of any life-long Athens residents old enough to remember the 1930's, please let me know. My research trip to Athens will likely consist of 2-3 weekdays and 1-2 weekend days, so I am trying to complete as much preparatory work as possible in order to organize and maximize the value of my limited time in your community.
Thank you, Jody Edward Ginn
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jody Edward Ginn 7 Mar 2002 4:05AM GMT 
krystyunderwo... 3 Oct 2008 5:59AM GMT 
Historian2010 9 Oct 2012 9:20PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions