Search for content in message boards

Ed Smith obituary please? (Died 1-18-1944)

Replies: 3

Ed Smith obituary please? (Died 1-18-1944)

Posted: 17 Sep 2013 9:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
Looking for the obituary of Ed Smith, who died in Hopkins County January 18, 1944. I am tentatively hopeful this is Everett Smith, born in Franklin County, MS circa 1860 to William W. and Catherine Smith Smith (Her maiden name was also Smith!). Ed's DC shows he was born in the right state and time period and the father is listed as W.W. Smith (right on the money!) but the mother's name is wrong (Johnnie Tatum, born in Alabama). Census records I have found Ed on show both parents born in Mississippi, which fits Everett. I believe Johnnie Tatum to be his deceased wife, not his mother! She is also buried in the same cemetery. Looks like his daughter Katie (WHICH WAS EVERETT'S MOTHER'S NICKNAME!!!) provided the info for Ed's DC and probably got confused.

Another compelling case for Ed to be Everett, is his nephew William Richard Doughty (who had traveled to Texas from Louisiana) is buried in the same cemetery (New Shirley Cemetery).

In three of the siblings of Everett's obituaries, he is listed as a survivor, always living in Sulphur Springs, TX. Thanks! This is the only child of William and Catherine's I have been unable to track! If this is him, he would be the last of his siblings to die. I am hopeful his nephew is listed in the obituary as a survivor, which would be the proof I need.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
loradpeppers 17 Sep 2013 3:48PM GMT 
HL2604 17 Sep 2013 5:32PM GMT 
loradpeppers 17 Sep 2013 7:34PM GMT 
HL2604 17 Sep 2013 10:40PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic