Search for content in message boards

Thomas J Hart (1847-1869) Hunt County, TX - Son of Martin and Nancy J Green

Replies: 2

Re: Thomas J Hart (1847-1869) Hunt County, TX - Son of Martin and Nancy J Green

Posted: 12 Feb 2012 7:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hart
As some of you may know, my Hart roadblock is Gordon Hart, supposed father of Samuel G. Hart, according to his death certificate filled in by his wife Eula. After a long time of searching for “Gordon” I believe that Eula did not know the true name of the father, as she did not know the mother’s name. Samuel G. has been found on the 1870 census as a baby with 3 brothers, John, Wilson, and Josiah Hart, with the head of house as a very young ‘Mary’ or ‘Nancy’ The father is not listed and presumed deceased, which indicates that the “Gordon” I am searching for has to have died shortly before the census, since Samuel G. was just a baby in 1870. This brings me back to Sweetwater, TX. Where Samuel G. Hart lived out his life and died in 1939. While searching death records on familysearch.org, I queried deaths of Harts in Sweetwater (Nolan County) there are only 18. One of them is Sam’s, and also one of his sons. Curiously there is Burnhard K. Hart (1911-1945) who’s family line comes right back to Hunt County by way of --> Walter Bush Hart (1882-1920) --> Samuel R. Hart (1855-1946) --> Hardin Hart (1814-1883).

Hardin’s son Thomas J Hart died in 1869 which makes him the same age as the Mary/Nancy Hart (Head of Household) with 4 boys and no father in 1870. No other data that is available online indicates who Thomas J married or what he died of. The specific date of “17 Feb 1869” indicates that some record exists somewhere of when he died.

The fact that both Samuel G Hart and Burnhard K Hart are all the way out in Sweetwater Texas in 1940 and both trace their roots back to Hunt County is no mere coincidence.

I’d love to hear anyone’s thoughts on this. I have been searching for some while now trying to find my way and in doing so I am keeping an open mind about a lot of different search techniques. I will not let the destruction of the 1890 census nor the burning of the Hunt County Courthouse deter me. Right now all eyes are on Thomas J. Hart. :)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TSDDUGAN42 13 Feb 2012 12:06AM GMT 
HL2604 13 Feb 2012 1:36AM GMT 
TSDDUGAN42 13 Feb 2012 2:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions