Search for content in message boards

in search of Charles N Gunn (1844-1897) Noodle, Texas

Replies: 6

in search of Charles N Gunn (1844-1897) Noodle, Texas

Posted: 6 May 2003 3:14PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 2 Sep 2003 10:53AM GMT
Surnames: Gunn, Huffman, Causseaux
If there is anyone willing to do lookups, I would be very grateful for your help. (obits, marriages, census, land records...)

My great great grandparents settled in the Noodle, Texas locale in about 1882. Charles Newton Gunn was a sheep rancher, and he married Nannie Huffman, daughter of Lewis M Huffman and Virginia F Murray Huffman. (The Huffman family migrated from Kentucky in the early 1880s.)

My grandfather who is still living has told me that his grandfather (Charles Newton Gunn) was a sheep rancher who leased about 6,000 acres near Noodle Creek.

Earlier this year a gentleman who maintains website listings for Taylor county cemeteries found their graves in Rose Hill Cemetery in Merkel. They evidently moved to a farm in Merkel, Taylor County at some point, but the original settlement was at Noodle, where my grandfather says his grandmother helped open a school and operated a boarding house.

I would really appreciate any information about the boarding house or the school, or about Charles Gunn. He died when my great grandmother Mary Gunn was a little girl. We know that he came to Texas from one of the northern states, perhaps Connecticut. Charles died in 1897 leaving Nannie with four children, Joe, Mary, Amy and Flay.

Nannie Gunn later married a Mr. Paul Causseaux. She continued to live on the farm or in Merkel, Texas until her death in September of 1950.

Thanks for any help...

Walker Pierce
Austin, Texas
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
walkerpierce 6 May 2003 9:14PM GMT 
valraeian 9 Jul 2013 8:27PM GMT 
walkerpierce 9 Jul 2013 8:52PM GMT 
valraeian 9 Jul 2013 9:55PM GMT 
valraeian 9 Jul 2013 10:16PM GMT 
Susan Orton 7 Sep 2013 7:39PM GMT 
lonestar357 31 Aug 2013 8:47PM GMT 
per page