Search for content in message boards

Griffin Families in Kaufman County

Replies: 1

Griffin Families in Kaufman County

Patricia Griffin Geister (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: GRIFFIN, ASKEW, WELLS, GREGSON, STEVENSON, VENNER, WELCH, RITER, STEWART, HUNTER, CHENEY, MIDDLEBROOKS, MIDDLEBROOK
THOMAS CALHOUN GRIFFIN came to Kaufman County with his family in the early 1850s. He had been living with his parents, HENRY MATTHEW GRIFFIN and SARAH CHENEY GRIFFIN, in Noxubee County, MS prior to this.

Thomas and his wife MATILDA CAROLINE RILEY raised their nine children here. My father was always proud to know that he was a Free Mason. He was a landowner, merchant, member of the Freedmen Bureau. His career path lead him into the county court system where he became the Chief Justice of the Superior Court of Kaufman County.

In 1868 he erected a frame building on property located on the present S. Bois d'Arc Street in Brooklyn, TX. This was to become the first public school building for the village.

His children were: Erastus Strain Griffin, Issac Henry Griffin, Thomas F. Griffin, Sarah M. Griffin, James Fleming Griffin, Samantha Alice Griffin, Mary N. Griffin, Elizabeth Griffin, and Nellie Grace Griffin.

My great grandfather, Erastus Strain Griffin, was the family rascal. I've read a newspaper article that told of an incident in Brooklyn, TX that named him in a drunken fight that ended in death. This probably would have been in the mid 1870s and could account for his departure to the Oklahoma Indian Territory for a time. He seems to have moved back and forth between Texas and Oklahoma for a few years. He died in Dibble, OK March 8, 1907.

Thomas died Nov 11, 1872 in Kaufman County. Matilda died in Heath, TX Aug 6, 1888.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Patricia Griffin Geister 22 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Flandrensis92 8 Mar 2013 4:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions