Search for content in message boards

James Hefflefinger (1807-1884)

Replies: 0

James Hefflefinger (1807-1884)

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 11:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hefflefinger, Burgess, Cooper
I am researching my Hefflefinger line in Henry County, Virginia and came across information in Lamar County, Texas for James Hefflefinger, born 6 Aug 1806 in Virginia. His eldest child was born in Missouri in 1833. Based on this information, I think that this individual is somehow related to my Hefflefingers but I haven't been able to prove the connection. I am trying to find out who James' father might be and wonder if John Hefflefinger, Jr. son of John and Mary Hefflefinger of Henry County, Virginia might be the one.

My earliest known ancestor is a John Hefflefinger, Sr. He was born around 1743, lived in Limerick Township of Philadelphia County (what is now Montgomery County) Pennsylvania. Around 1797 he moved his family to Henry County, Virginia. John died in 1809 and I have a digital copy of his will as entered into probate. In it he lists several sons: John Jr., George, and Jacob. The only daughter he lists by name is Elizabeth. He has at least two other daughters, Hamar Hefflfinger wife of Peter Barger and Hanah Hefflefinger wife of John Montague "Jack" Pace. I don't think he listed all of his sons as there is a Henry Hefflefinger living in the county who is around the same age as the sons listed and I know that Jacob was the surety for Henry's marriage in 1839. Also, a Henry Hefflefinger signed the estate settlement in 1819. Census records are not available for Henry County, Virginia in the early 1800's so I have not found any records of John Jr after the estate settlement in 1819. I have searched the probate records for Henry County from the late 1700's until 1856 and haven't found anything for John Jr. I am speculating that he moved away sometime after settling his father's estate. My best guess is that he moved to Missouri as several of Jacob's children moved there by the mid-1800's.

I have no information on John Hefflefinger Jr. I don't know who he married or what were the names of any children. I am speculating that the James Hefflefinger living in Lamar County, Texas in the mid-1800's could possibly be his son as Jame's sons names are names that are frequently used in my Hefflefinger line.

I am interested in learning more about the Hefflefinger line that lived in Lamar County, Texas and would like to be able to clearly identify the link, if there is any, to my Hefflefinger line in Henry County, Virginia.

Find a board about a specific topic