Search for content in message boards

7 Lane Graves in Chadwick Cemetery surrounded by rock wall

Replies: 4

Re: 7 Lane Graves in Chadwick Cemetery surrounded by rock wall

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 7:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thanks for the info. I took a trip to Chadwick Cemetery last Dec. It was an interesting little cemetery. It's literally out in the middle of nowhere. It appears that the Lane graves were the first ones there. All others were buried around them. The oldest date I found was 1871. This family was not listed on the Census of 1860 or 1870. So, I figure they died maybe late 1860's. In those days, many people were buried where they died. They could have been settlers just arriving to the area and died before they could be recorded. The first Lane family arrived there in 1859. My Great Grandfather owned land just a mile or so east of the cemetery. His brother and sister also owned land nearby. However, those families are accounted for in the census.
I was able to take pictures of the graves. The thing that stood out is that each grave had a different style and size of headstone and footstone. No markings at all. It's quite mysterious. No one in the area seems to know anything about them other than they were Lanes. I did talk to an old cemetery overseer. She said the rumor is that they either died from an attack by Comanches or by Typhoid fever. While there, my wife and I swore we would find out who they were and how they died. Placing a plaque by each grave with their names is our ultimate goal.
One interesting note is what happened after we got home. I had a very short but vivid dream one night. I was in a small one room cabin laying in bed. Standing next to me was this very pretty little girl app. 4 or 5 yrs. old in an old fashioned long white dress or nightgown. She smiled and gave me a kiss. Then I awoke. At the time I dismissed it as just a strange dream. Later, I came across a story on the Internet by Kelly L. Stone. I believe it was called " Summons to a Ghost Town". After reading her story I realized that the dream I had may have meant something after all. Her dream brought her to Chadwick Cemetery also. It's too long to relate here but you must read it online. I guess it's possible that this family is reaching out. Who knows? But, somewhere there is an answer.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RobertLane777 12 Jul 2012 7:42PM GMT 
judyartley53 12 Feb 2013 7:13PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 13 Feb 2013 8:37AM GMT 
RobertLane777 13 Feb 2013 2:17PM GMT 
RobertLane777 14 Apr 2013 6:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions