Search for content in message boards

Hill Family (African American) of Lavaca Co.

Replies: 0

Hill Family (African American) of Lavaca Co.

Posted: 26 May 2012 12:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hill Gafford Hastings
I am researching my African American family who lived in Lavaca County. Queen Hill Gafford (whose maiden or possibly slave family name may have been Hastings) was born in Miss. about 1852. She appears in Lavaca census records in 1870. She had seven children (Jefferson, Prince Albert, Robert, Lilly, Ira, Lula and Craddie) all born in Lavaca from about 1868-1880. The children's surnames are Hill but I don't know their father's name. A TX marriage index showed that Queen married a man named Isaih Gafford in 1877 but he must have died before the 1900 census. Queen kept the surname Gafford thereafter.

I'm looking for information on Queen’s life before she arrived in TX, who her children’s father is and where/when she eventually died. Possible connections to the children’s father might be Anthony and Martha Hill or Richard and Rosa Hill of Lavaca circa 1870. I’d also like to find vital records or information on Jefferson, Lula and Craddie as I have found some information already about the spouses and children of Queen’s other kids.

Is anyone else researching this family line? Does anyone have suggestions on where to look to find more information about this family? I’m new to genealogy research so outside of censuses and vital records/indexes, I’m not exactly sure where to look.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions