Search for content in message boards

Polk and Bryant family information

Replies: 10

Re: Polk and Bryant Family

Posted: 10 Jul 2013 7:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Polk, Crockett
Hello, all. I am a descendant of Thomas Allen Polk's youngest brother, William Polk (who married Susan Harper). I grew up in Union City, Obion County, TN, and recall recall reading correspondence between my mother and Claude Bryant. Actually, I'm pretty sure I have a letter from him at my grandparents home in Troy, TN.

Descendants of Thomas Allen's two youngest brothers, William (married Susan Harper) and James (married Susan Harper's sister Elizabeth Adelaide Harper) remained in Obion County for many years. James descendants remained until around 1940; I am the last Polk male descendant of William. My mother, Hazel Killingsworth Polk died a little over a year ago, having lived in Union City since 1952. My wife Karlene and I now live in Nashville.

Anyhow, there were some pretty impressive Obion County Polks in those days of the 1830's- 40's... your own Thomas Allen, as you may know was probably the best known of them, as Sheriff of Troy, then State Legislator for Obion and Dyer Counties before moving to Texas. Then of course his brother in law, John McClannahan Crockett, who married Thomas Allen's sister Catherine Polk, became the second Mayor of Dallas before he was made Lieutenant Governor of Texas.

The three older Obion County brothers (Thomas Allen, Alexander and George)ran the general store in Troy in the 1830's along with the aforementioned John McClannahan Crockett.

But probably none of this is news to most of you. But if you
are interested in more, I have a fair amount (about a three inch thick file)of info. about the Obion County and York County S.C. Polks who descended from John and Agness Brown Polk, as well as William and Elizabeth Polk of York County, S. C. Would be pleased to communicate with you.

Jim Polk

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cindy Bryant Elder 3 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Herberta Mask 3 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Cindy Bryant Elder 7 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Herberta Mask 21 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Cindy Bryant Elder 28 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Herberta Mask 28 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT 
DavidBiggs313... 29 Jul 2004 8:06PM GMT 
FordFamilyHis... 29 Apr 2013 10:08PM GMT 
jim_polk39 11 Jul 2013 1:21AM GMT 
Jan Lindley 25 Jun 2002 3:16AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions