Search for content in message boards

Slave Plantation - GA>TX - Bailey/Hayes - Last Will of Hayes

Replies: 13

Slave Plantation - GA>TX - Bailey/Hayes - Last Will of Hayes

Posted: 6 Jul 2002 3:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Sep 2005 11:09PM GMT
Surnames: Bailey/Wheaton/Adams/Lee/Ravenell/Mitchell/Jackson
I have been researching an ancestor, Jeffie Bailey (b. 1796/1800 GA) for quite some time. I recently received the Last Will and Testament of his slaveholder Patrick H. Lawson (b. 1807 Ireland), arriving in Texas in 1838 with 19 slaves and "enough resources to acquire great tracts of land" as well as the 1867 Texas Voter Registration. Jeffie self-reports that he has been in Texas since 1844. Another tidbit of information I have on the slaveholder was that his wife, Amanda was born in 1813 in GA. I do not know Amanda's maiden name.

These bits of information added together lead me to the reasonable assumption that Jeffie was in all likelihood originally Amanda's slave. Does anyone out there have any information on plantations in Georgia? Are there any slaveholders with the surname Bailey that come immediately to mind?

I am attaching my transcription of the Will. It is reasonably complete except for a few portions that are indicipherable.

Last Will of P. H. Hayes, deceast

The State of Texas
County of Madison

To wit: I Patrick H. Hayes of the County and State aforesaid do make and ordain this my last will and testament to wit:

First my will and desire is that just debts against my estate be paid.

Secondly. My will and desire is that Mary H. Young wife of William C. Young shall retain these negrose. Her and her husband have now in possession namely Marie Ann, Henry and Jordie and immediately after my death shall obtain possession of Monday and Marina both of those are now about thirteen years old. They shall be also entitled to my
Thos. and Jane Nixon tract of land a part of the headright of Wm. L. Young, also to one fourth league of land on big Treechie (?). ______ as the lion league the other grantos of the half of said lion league belongs or did belongs to John C____ and J. T. Henry (the former lives in Luisfield the latter in Springfield and in just underrided.

Thirdly. If any of my children namely Melissa Elizabeth Hayes or Hugh Lawson Hayes should die before maturity or without issue in that case the above named Mary H. Young shall be entitled to four average (?) working hands or to Jas., John, Am, and her children and Clarissa there and those she the said Mary H. Young has now in possession (except Jordie) an the _______ family. She the said March H. Young in this case will be entitled to my tract of six hundred and forty
acres of land on Baver Creek in Leon County. The headright of James Bloodworth.

Fourthly, it is my will and desire that my son Hugh Lawson Hayes shall own my residence and ____ of land near Robbins Leiry consisting of about three thousand acres with the building thereon. This tract of land must be divided according to quality and quantity between my son Hugh Lawson and my daughter Melissa Elizabeth giving to my son Hugh Lawson the advantage of the buildings including gin house and
negro cabbins and that part of the portion of land most _______ to these improvements and without taking such consideration the values of these improvements, the remainder of my lands to be equally divided between these two children also their mothers individual negroes to be equally divided between them and then the balance of my
negroes to be equally divided between them after giving to Mary H. Young those mentioned above the rest of my personal property must be equally divided between these two children. There are some horses that Hugh Lawson claims as his. He can have these but Melissa must get as many as will balance against these out of the remainder of the horse stock. My furniture shall be equally divided except the buro
and _________, they shall belong to Melissa. My books shall also be divided. My money and all acknowledged _____ of debts must be equally divided between them and everything else of any value whatever must be equally divided between my two children, Hugh Lawson and Melissa Elizabeth Hayes.

Fifthly, it is my will and desire that after my demise of _____
shared or ____ any money as lands it would be ______ out in good security _______ lawful interest; however if my daughter Melissa in the course of events should get married, in that case any money that may be on hand at that time she is entitled to one half. The other half to be invested as above advised until my son becomes of age.

Sixthly, it is my will and special desire that my son Hugh Lawson be kept at school and will educated if possible and hope my executors hereinafter named will execute themselves to comply with this my particular desire and ______ no expense to ___ accomplish it.

Seventhly, it is my will and desire that my wife remains shall be transferred from ______ to this place and deposited alongside our son and my own remains if it should so happen that I shall die before I can effect this object myself and our graves respectably walled in and intombed.

Eighthly, it is my will and desire that my executors hereinafter named shall have the controle and manage ______ of my whole estate for the purposes above mentioned and that the County Court for the probate of will shall have nothing to do with my estate further than to admit to probate and record this my last will and testament and security required of my executors.

Ninethly, it is my will and desire that Doctor Pleasant W. Kittrell of Polk County take charge of children having entire confidence in his integrity and honor, also believing him ___________ a capacity for __________ children and __________ the receipt in the way they should go. I therefore _____ my children first to ____ there to the case of Doctor Kittrell to council and direct my daughter, to train and educate my son, with his boys for which he shall be entitled to a compensation equivalent to his trouble and all reasonable expenses allowed him.

Tenthly, and lastly, I hereby constitute and appoint Doctor P. W. Kittrell of Polk County and William L. Young of Madison County executor of this my last will and testament and I also appoint them guardians of the estate of each one of my children to wit: Melissa Elizabeth Hayes and Hugh Lawson Hayes hereby investing them full power to carry ___ my last will and testament into effect. Given under my hand this 12th September 1862 in presents of
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mzross2u_1 6 Jul 2002 9:15PM GMT 
mrsapodaca2 6 Sep 2012 1:29AM GMT 
HL2604 6 Sep 2012 7:50PM GMT 
mrsapodaca2 7 Sep 2012 11:34PM GMT 
HL2604 8 Sep 2012 5:57AM GMT 
mrsapodaca2 8 Sep 2012 3:16PM GMT 
mrsapodaca2 9 Sep 2012 3:49PM GMT 
HL2604 9 Sep 2012 8:46PM GMT 
LyndaBreeding... 8 Sep 2012 1:31PM GMT 
HL2604 8 Sep 2012 4:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions