Search for content in message boards

Ft. McKavett in 1891

Replies: 12

Re: Ft. McKavett in 1891

Posted: 28 Aug 2013 7:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rhymes, Crockett, Arnold, Atkinson, Pullen, Burkett
I'm very fortunate to have finally found the obituary for George Willis Rhymes. (Cynthia Camille Crockett's husband.) It cleared up the timeline for the Rhymes family's whereabouts from the 1890's until George's death in 1919. Shortly before 1890, George and Cynthia apparently left Medina, Bandera County and moved to Ft. McKavett. Cynthia died in 1891, causes unknown, and George Willis Rhymes continued living there for about the next five years. He was enumerated on the 1900 census for Tom Green County (San Angelo) by 1900. He was a carpenter by trade, so I'm still in search of additional information about the community during that time frame.

I assume Bandera county was where George and Cynthia met - as George Washington Rhymes (George Willis' father) & Andrew Jackson Crockett, (Cynthia's father) both lived in Bandera County during the same time period.

Apparently, after Cynthia's death in 1891, George met his future wife Alice Minerva "Allie" Arnold there in Ft. McKavett as they were married in 1893. She was the daughter of William Richard Arnold and Delila Atkinson-Arnold. Delila remarried Samuel Houston Pullen in 1886. Sam and Delila's son, Frank Barksdale Pullen, married Callie Leana Danley in 1917. Callie was the daughter of Berry Danley and Lula Belle Stockton. Berry Danley was the son of Alexander and Julia Danley. Alexander's parents were Andrew Danley and Nancy Burkett. Andrew and Nancy's eldest daughters, Mary and Elizabeth Jane, were both married to Andrew Jackson Crockett.

It's amazing how closely intertwined all of these families in/around Ft. McKavett were.

That's your Menard website? You've done a great job with it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lonestar357 25 Aug 2013 6:17PM GMT 
aharwell43 25 Aug 2013 7:02PM GMT 
lonestar357 29 Aug 2013 1:20AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions