Search for content in message boards

BODIFORD

Replies: 8
Posted: 31 Oct 2012 6:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Peter was my 2nd great grand uncle. I grew up about 20 miles from where he lived in Alabama. Having moved to Texas many years ago, I have finally found his resting place in Milano, Milam county, Texas.

He was a schoolteacher and a farmer in Elba, AL prior to the Civil War. He went to war as did two of his brothers. It appears after the war he migrated to Milano,Texas. He had a niece (Sarah Amelia Prescott Henderson) that came also with her husband but they settled in Nacogdoches, TX. Nacogdoches looks a lot like Elba, AL as far as the land and vegetation goes.

He was a farmer and store keeper in Milam according to the census records. His gravestone shows that he was a Mason and his wife an Eastern Star. He applied for Conferedate pension in the last few years of his life and had to declare himself without means and disabled.

The Milano newspaper is not well represented in the Archives. I found him mentioned only once in the files found in the UT-Austin library. These are also online at UNT - http://www.library.unt.edu/digital-newspaper-unit

He was named in a Texas Supreme Court suit concerning poll tax - Black v Pool - you can Google - P V Bodiford Supreme Court and get the section of the book - via Google Books.Texas reports: cases argued and decided in the Supreme Court of ..., Volume 97

Ran for Commissioner in Precint 3 - June 18, 1906

Milano is a small town. It has a colorful history. Peter's son-in-law's story is interesting (Samuel Houston Worbington). I have yet to find it well covered in more than one account.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mickey Daughtry 25 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT 
sfgi01 11 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT 
bodifordwaldr... 6 Dec 2002 12:05AM GMT 
bodifordwaldr... 4 Aug 2010 4:01AM GMT 
HL2604 2 Oct 2012 9:08AM GMT 
tyvala1267 1 Oct 2012 2:41PM GMT 
HL2604 1 Oct 2012 8:32PM GMT 
tyvala1267 29 Oct 2012 4:51PM GMT 
bodifordwaldr... 1 Nov 2012 12:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic