Search for content in message boards

McGrew/Penland/Johnson Families

Replies: 3

McGrew/Penland/Johnson Families

Posted: 29 Mar 2014 10:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been attempting to research my family in Mills County, Texas. As far as I can tell they moved to that area in the late 1870's when it was still Brown County. My great great grandfather, John C. McGrew was hung in the vigilante era of the time sometime in the early 1880's. There are several different versions of what happened. My great great grandmother, his wife, Sara Elizabeth was a niece to John Henry Selman's wife, Edna. John Henry Selman is the man who killed John Wesley Hardin in El Paso. When the McGrew's moved to Brown/Mills County they had the four children of John Henry Selman in their household along with their two children. They are shown in the 1880 census. The author Leon Metz's wrote a book called "John Henry Selman, Gunfighter." and his makes note of the children of John Henry being raised by John C. McGrew family in Brown County. Grandmother McGrew married twice more, once to an unknown Williams and then to Alfred Penland in Mills Countyand she had two more daughters. She is buried in Des Moines, Union, New Mexico. John C. McGrew was buried in the family property, but was moved to possibly the Oakview Cemetery in Mullin.

Willliam Clark McGrew, my great grandfather married Ophelia Johnson in Mills County. Her father was O.E. Johnson and he is buried in the Williams Ranch Cemetery. I cannot find any information on his wife Catherine/Katherine. One of her brothers, Almon Johnson is supposed to be buried in the Williams Ranch Cemetery according to his death certificate, but no headstone can be found.

Interested in any information on these family names.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BillMBrown67 29 Mar 2014 4:06PM GMT 
PaSain 18 Apr 2014 3:45AM GMT 
BillMBrown67 18 Sep 2014 9:38PM GMT 
PaSain 19 Sep 2014 1:54AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic