Search for content in message boards

Rich - Montague Co. - Spanish Fort

Replies: 14

Re: Rich - Montague Co. - Spanish Fort

Posted: 5 Apr 2014 3:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello Tim and Annetta,

I am very much interested in information on the ferry between Spanish Fort and Petersburg on the Oklahoma or Chickasaw Nation side of the Red River. I grew up at Petersburg and have done a great deal of research on the two towns. Is it possible that I can get a copy of John Rich's charter for the ferry in 1879? Tommy and Bethany Hancock, residents on the Chickasaw Nation side of the River were said to have run the ferry from about 1875 through 1879/1881. I am attempting to fill in the gaps all the way up to when the ferry closed.

Are you aware that John Rich owned and operated a red brick mill or factory at Spanish Fort. It was down in the bottomland. There is one old red brick home in Spanish Fort built in the 1800s as well as the one remaining brick store building. These were built with bricks from John Rich's mill. When you visit Spanish Fort again look closely at a loose brick, they have "R" in the middle.

Just a note: The land on which the town of Burlington was platted was owned partly by John Rich and partly by Mr. Burns and a group of people founded the town. It is rich in history.

There is a John Rich that lives on the Petersburg, Indian Territory side of the River in 1900. Is he connected.

Please let me know if I can get a copy of the ferry register for 1879. Thanks for your help.
Scott
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
annetta101 15 Apr 2007 11:52PM GMT 
Barbara_Uhlen... 16 Apr 2007 3:52PM GMT 
tjgoolsby 18 Apr 2007 2:56AM GMT 
annetta101 19 Apr 2007 1:46PM GMT 
whobegetyou 5 Apr 2014 9:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic