Search for content in message boards

Looking for info on John Walker Morris

Replies: 1

Re: Looking for info on John Walker Morris

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 1:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Morris
Here is a reply I got before Take a look. This info is getting confused with the issue. It appears that there was 2 John Walkers one was my G Uncle and the other Son of William A Morris. here is the story I have satisfied my self this fellow at fox is my real G Uncle.

John Walker Morris
1900 , Texas and Oklahoma

There is some information abt this man that is in controversy.

This is a msg I received from a researcher of William A ( Bud) Morris and Rachel Dennis his wife. I

ask if they had further information concerning John Walker Williams son here is the reply.

Surnames:
John W. Morris buried in Montague Cemetery is the son of William A. "Bud" and Rachel Dennis Morris. My gggrandmother, Margaret Jane Morris Eaves is Bud's sister. The 1880 Census of Montague Co., TX P.35. lists "John W. (age) 1 (born) Tex." son of William and Rachel Morris. In the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, on page 159 in a book entitled "Montague Memorial Memories"
(library # 976,4541/M1 D2m)I found his birth and death dates and burial location. I have been to his grave which is within the confines of the iron picket fence of the W.A."Bud" and Rachel Morris family plot in the Montague Cemetery in Montague, TX. The the tombstone reads "J. W. Morris Born Oct 28, 1868 Died May 10, 1908". I have found no indication that he was married or had children, but I don't know that for sure. A letter from a Mrs. Darrell (Donna) Atchley dated 10 Nov 1978 while she was living in Visalia, CA, [I have had no contact with her since that time]gave the following information on a John Walker Morris that is probably your uncle: John Walker Morris, born 28 FEBRUARY 1869, Forestburg, Montague, TX., died 1927 in Fox, Carter, OK, bu. Frio Grave Yard, Fox, Carter, OK., Md. Anne Rose Finney, born 11 Feb. 1876 in Mo. or Ill. died 5 July 1954, Duncan, Stephens, OK., bu. Duncan Cemetery. Children: Viney, William Henry Harrison, Victoria, Vernie, Ona, Ethel, Lester, Edna, Thurman Walt, Viola, Estelle Dimples, Tildon. Don't know her sources or how correct this is. I do know that one or two of my Bud's father John Morris who married Margaret Pepper had other brothers and at least one of them lived for a few years in Montague County. One brother, Austin, did have a son, John H. Morris born 15 Feb 1852 in Arkansas, possibly Sevier Co. as that's where the family came from. My gggrandmother, Margaret Jane Morris Eaves and her family also moved to Carter Co., OK. I don't have the exact date that they moved to OK but believe it was in the 1890's. Hope this helps. Spouse
Anne
bjmccollaum (View posts) Posted: 28 Feb 2007 7:49AM GMT

Below find a list coming from the Montague Cemetery List, William and Rachel Morris had family plot. I put the ones I know

belong in the plot together since but the ones below those not shure I really haven't investigated them yet. The reason

This is important I believe my Great Uncle is buried in the same Cemetery as his Father and Mother. Freo Cemetery Fox, Carter County Oklahoma

MORRIS Charlie 9-17-1880 3-11-1883 (Inf. of W.A. & R.L.)
MORRIS Rachel 1-17-1847 10-28-1937

MORRIS W.A. (Bud) 12-24-1844 1-28-1928

MORRIS John W. 10-28-1868 5-10-1908

_________THE ABOVE ARE BURIED IN FAMILY PLOT AT MONTAGUE CEMETERY IN MONTAGUE TX

these below are also on the cemetery list but not sure they are in the came location. I know there is a family plot for the William A Morris and Rachel Dennis Morris Family.

the one in front means the names were obtained from courthouse records.

1 MORRIS Joe L. 1852 5-12-1929

1 MORRIS Mary 1904 3-21-1917

MORRIS Minnie 6-30-1860 1-26-1931

MORRIS Harvie L. 8-21-1880 1-29-1950

http://www.rootsweb.com/~txmontag/CemMontague..txt

This was all taken from the Texas
This is a small portion in the middle its blue and has the inscription on it. I will admit its hard to read.
Here is the thing Notice the date of birth Feb 1865 he could have been in Collin or Hill county. I have found census but doesn't spell his birthplace out.
I know the John Walker son of William A "Bud" Morris but on the inscription of the headstone in Montague in their Family Plot fenced with a picket fence of metal. inside the info is above he was born 1866/69 have seen both on files. It shows no wife he was young grown but young. Another researcher says he has found no evidence of a marriage like I said he was young This is his birth date. Note both born in Feb but 3 years younger than my G Uncle.
i. JOHN WALKER4 MORRIS, b. 28 Feb 1869, Forrestburg, Montague county, Texas; This is from cemetery list in Montague Cemetery MORRIS John W. 10-28-1868 5-10-1908 Notice the dates don't match again. Date here of birth is Oct.,28 1868 Its a big gripe with me that people don't confirm the info. Only makes for more confusion
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
4thefunofgene... 10 Dec 2006 10:48PM GMT 
4thefunofgene... 7 Dec 2012 8:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic