Search for content in message boards

Old Spradley Cemetery?

Replies: 1

Old Spradley Cemetery?

Posted: 15 Aug 2008 9:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mooney, Pitts, Spradley
I have just became aware of an old cemetery in Nacogdoches County that I have not found listed online with the other Nacogdoches cemeteries or that I can see having been included in the Nacogdoches County Cemetery books.

The folks giving me this information still live in Nacogdoches County and have deep Nacogdoches roots in the Eddings and Pitts families. They last visited this cemetery in 2001 and say that it is on private property out in the middle of a cow pasture among a grove of trees. They think that the property is owned by Spradleys but may presently be leased by Haneys. All of the gravestones have been knocked flat on the ground and are covered with leaf debris and dirt. They say that their mother always referred to this cemetery as "the Old Spradley Cemetery" (note: this is not the Old Union Cemetery)and that it was used before the Harmony Cemetery started being used. They say that their mother had told them that her grandmother, the first wife of Nehemiah Pitts, Martha, is buried there, but it was near dark when they had visited and they were unable to locate a marker for her. They did find some markers for the Mooney family there. I have seen reference to a family record that indicates that Ransom Shoemake was buried in "Old Harmony" in March of 1894. I wonder if he could actually be buried in this cemetery as there is no marker for him in the Harmony Cemetery.

These are the directions to the cemetery:
Headed north on Hwy 59, turn left on FM 2782 (Old Blount Road). Go several miles and turn right on CR 635. Go to the dead end and there is a locked gate. The cemetery is out in the pasture in a grove of trees. Alternately, take Hwy 7 out to near the old Harmony Community and turn left on FM 2782.

My question is-does anyone know anything about the history of this cemetery or could somebody put me in contact with anyone who would know? I would like to try to organize some kind of a cleanup project (pending property owner's permission) to get the gravestones there unearthed so that they can be transcribed if they have not already been. Any additional thoughts that anyone has would be welcome.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rayman664 15 Aug 2008 3:06PM GMT 
jlspradley62 1 Apr 2013 8:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions