Search for content in message boards

Long family of Nagodochous

Replies: 1

Re: Long family of Nagodochous

Posted: 22 May 2014 2:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
In the interest of historical accuracy, The Indian Removal Act was signed into law in 1830 by Andrew Jackson. Frank Long's estimated birth 1824 so I doubt he could read/write much less sign a treaty as a representative of his family? Although commonly associated with the Cherokees, "Trail of Tears" was actually uttered (first) by a Choctaw warrior. Reasonable since they were the first people to be forcibly removed. The Cherokees were removed under the Treaty of New Echota in 1835. The Seminoles resisted militarily and were finally removed after the Second Seminole War (1835-1842). Oscar Mitchell Long was born in Fort Worth per info he supplied on both draft registrations. Tennessee was the sixteenth state, admitted 1 Jun 1796. Alabama was number twenty-two with an admission date of 14 Dec 1819. Suggest more thorough research because there's evidence your ancestors were still in early 1830s Tennessee. That's based on 1850 census of Nacogdoches TX-Not Stated-Image 18. Francis Long age 18 was residing next to: John Long (60), Nancy (60), Mary Ann (18), John (17), and Nancy (15). The teenagers were enumerated as native to Tennessee so I doubt the family walked the Trail of Tears then returned to Alabama/Tennessee in two years? I realize this is unwelcome but myth should not supplant facts.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jaymie trusch... 22 May 2014 3:41AM GMT 
HL2604 22 May 2014 8:34AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions