Search for content in message boards

Wilburn Brothers Hanged?

Replies: 9

Re: Wilburn Brothers Hanged?

Posted: 17 Mar 2014 11:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilburn, Mooney
The story of the Wilburn brothers hanging, the way I heard it was. My gggrandfather was a gunsmith in the 1860’s (Barton Mooney). He did some work on some guns that belonged to the Wilburns. When the 2 sons came back to pick the guns up my gggrandfather wouldn’t let them have the guns. (Apparently he had done some work for them before and he had difficulty collecting his money from them) When he came back it was the old man and his 2 sons and demanded for his guns. My gggrandfather stood his ground and wouldn’t let him have the guns. So they killed him. The sheriff arrested the old man and his sons. Later after the sheriff had placed the three men under the custody of a guard, there were some people that took them from the custody of the guard and hanged the father and his 2 sons. Later that week one of his other sons came looking for them, and a man told him what happen and if he didn’t leave the same would happen to him.

This happen approx. on Oct 25,1860 in Concord, Hardin Co. TX. It was told to me to be printed in the Texas Christian Advocate in Nov 22, 1860, Vol. II, No. 16. But I can’t find anything about this story. My gggrandfather was named Barton Mooney his son Robert was born Apr 3, 1863, my gggrandmother was 3 months pregnant when this happen, so it must of happen in Oct 26, 1863. There wasn’t a town named Concord in Hardin Co. There was a town name Concord in Anglelina Co. but no record of him being buried in the old Concord cemetery. I have found some information that he lived in Melrose, a small town just north of where I live in Etoile TX in Nacogdoches Co. and other information of a person name John Mooney that died in Melrose in approx. 1865. If the Wilburn killed Barton it would have been in Melrose. I’m going to check the cemetery in Melrose and see if I can find Barton’s grave and see if I can find any Wilburn in the cemetery as well.

This is all I have on the Wilburn brother’s hanging in this area. I hope this is the information you’re looking for on the brothers.

This is what I found from the papers of the time that was posted on the internet....

Lynching and Murder in Texas. - The Nacogdoches chronicle has an account of a horrible affair in Hardin county, Texas. There were two family’s by the names of Mooney and Wilburn, respectively, in Nacogdoches county, between which there was a most bitter feud. A short time since the Mooney’s moved to Concord, Hardin county. A few days ago Wilburn, with his three sons, heavily armed, went down to Concord. Finding Mooney in a store, they shot him, wounding him badly.
Mooney then fled to his house. The Wilburns followed him, and found him lying on the floor, weltering in his blood, his head supported by his little daughter. Here they again shot him several times, and beat his lifeless body with their pistols and clubs, and the poor wife pleading for mercy at the assassin's hands, was stricken down and most shamefully abused. The citizens, being by this time aroused, surrounded the Wilburns, and after a conflict in which parties on both sides were wounded, they took them prisoners and placed them under a strong guard for the night. In the morning the four were found hanging each on a separate tree, some distance from town.

[DES ARC, ARK.] THE CONSTITUTIONAL UNION, January 11, 1861, p. 3, c. 4
Lynching and Murder in Texas.—The Nacogdoches [sic] chronicle has an account of a horrible affair in Hardin county, Texas. There were two family’s [sic] by the names of Mooney and Wilburn, respectively, in Nacogdoches county, between which there was a most bitter feud. A short time since the Mooney’s moved to Concord, Hardin county. A few days ago Wilburn, with his three sons, heavily armed, went down to Concord. Finding Mooney in a store, they shot him, wounding him badly.
Mooney then fled to his house. The Wilburns followed him, and found him lying on the floor, weltering in his blood, his head supported by his little daughter. Here they again shot him several times, and beat his lifeless body with their pistols and clubs, and the poor wife pleading for mercy at the assassin's hands, was stricken down and most shamefully abused. The citizens, being by this time aroused, surrounded the Wilburns, and after a conflict in which parties on both sides were wounded, they took them prisoners and placed them under a strong guard for the night. In the morning the four were found hanging each on a separate tree, some distance from town.

Contact me at anytime on this Leroy Mooney Jr
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
xxHelenDearin... 28 Aug 2001 11:26PM GMT 
Leroy Mooney 21 Aug 2007 12:12AM GMT 
Debbiann 21 Aug 2007 2:53PM GMT 
Debbiann 21 Aug 2007 3:13PM GMT 
Clint Stein 28 Feb 2008 3:50AM GMT 
Leroy Mooney 12 Mar 2014 2:02PM GMT 
Clint Stein 17 Mar 2014 5:16PM GMT 
Leroy Mooney 17 Mar 2014 5:37PM GMT 
Debbiann 12 Jul 2014 5:47PM GMT 
Debbiann 12 Jul 2014 6:22PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions