Search for content in message boards

Champion and Holloway Family

Replies: 21

Champion and Holloway Family

Posted: 7 Feb 2009 10:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Jun 2013 9:05AM GMT
Surnames: Holloway, Champion
I am looking for information that anyone might have on Annie Holloway Champion. She had 4 children and I only know of 2 that were listed on her brother's census records. In 1900 she and her daughter Minnie were listed with her brother Robt. Lafayette Holloway, and her son John was listed with her brother Thomas Woodfin Holloway. I can't find Annie or her children after 1910. I believe I found Minnie at the State Home in Corsicana, but no way to know if it is the same Minnie Champion. I could not find John Champion anywhere after the 1910 census.

If anyone knows of this family it would be a weight lifted as I have been stuck on this part of my line for some time!

The other 2 children I have no idea of, if they went to live with other relatives or if they died along with their father, who I have no name for either.

The family was travelling from Giles, TN to Corsicana, and other Holloway members went on to Falls County.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

*******************5 June 2013************************

Here is some updated information I have on the family I originally posted about in this thread....

Annie Lee Parmelia HOLLOWAY Champion
b: March 1862 in Giles, TN d: 9 Nov 1924 in Jasper, TX
Mother: Martha Ann WOODFIN Holloway b: 23 July 1823 Limestone, AL d: 25 May 1874 Falls. TX
Father: Richard Louis Holloway b: 1820 Limestone, AL d: 1871 Falls, TX

Spouse: John Champion (no supporting documents, other than a death certificate of their children listing father as John Champion)

CHILDREN:
1 Deceased No name or sex
2 Lewis W Champion b: 8 July 1891 in Texas d: 20 Nov 1957 Jasper, TX (per death cert informant James Henson)
3 John Franklin Champion b: 4 July 1892 in Texas d: 12 Dec 1952 in DeRidder, Beauregard, LA
4 Minnie Lee Champion B 31 Dec 1898 in Texas d: unknown

1st child was born prior to the 1900 Census where only Annie and her 4th child were listed with her brother Robert and his wife Irene SKINNER Holloway. You will find Lewis and John Champion listed with other brothers of Annie's within the next 10 years. Minnie and Annie disappear after 1900 census, so we follow Annie's sons through Texas to the border town in Jasper County.

This is where I find a trace of Annie, Lewis and Minnie again listed with Annie's son John Champion. Annie is now listed as Lee. 2&3 Jan 1920 in Kirbyville, Jasper, TX Prct. 3 living on Trout Street with John Champion listed as head of house. John was 26, Annie Lee was listed as 58, Minnie (Sister) listed as 21 and Lewis (brother) listed as 29. Lee was a widow at this time of census the others were single. John was working as a Jeweler working in a repair shop and Lewis was working as a Laborer working miscellaneous. Later we find a death index with a Lee Champian died 9 Nov 1924 in Kirbyville, TX More than likely she is buried in Kirbyville with her son Lewis Champion and his family.

John Champion is later found in Beauregard County, LA married to Versie Swearengin and married to Mary Ellen Snell b. 23 Dec 1898 Texas d:1949 DeRidder, Beauregard, LA

Mary Ellen SNELL Champion and John Franklin Champion together had a child Jewel Frankie CHAMPION Cunningham

Jewel b:abt 1925 in DeRidder, LA
Married: Russell Revere Cunningham
together they had
1 Mary Linda CUNNINGHAM Edmonds
2 John Cunningham
3 James Henry Cunningham

Mary Linda had a daughter ------ Edmonds

The other two children I have not finished researching. daughter--- Edmonds is a member of the Ancestry community. She is still researching the family she knew very little about.

Lewis W Champion married Mary Ella MORGAN Champion b: 11 Aug 1896 d: 3 Oct 1966 Kirbyville, TX

Mary Ella had a child from a previous marriage:
1 Virgil Albran Henson b: 12 Oct 1925 Van Zandt, TX d: 11 Apr 1945 Virgil's son James Henson b: Texas was the informant on several Champion death certificates.

Minnie Lee CHAMPION : I have no idea if she married after the 1920 census or stayed single. I am still researching to find more information in Kirbyville or DeRidder since her brothers did retire to those locations.

If there is further information I will be sure to post in case anyone might be looking.

Julie HOLLOWAY Powers
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
juliedpowers 7 Feb 2009 5:24PM GMT 
HL2604 7 Feb 2009 8:37PM GMT 
juliedpowers 7 Feb 2009 11:46PM GMT 
PaSain 8 Feb 2009 3:28PM GMT 
PaSain 8 Feb 2009 3:41PM GMT 
juliedpowers 8 Feb 2009 8:12PM GMT 
PaSain 9 Feb 2009 1:23AM GMT 
juliedpowers 9 Feb 2009 5:30PM GMT 
jperk2001 7 Feb 2010 8:18PM GMT 
juliedpowers 8 Feb 2010 5:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions