Search for content in message boards

Kostoryz, Stanley L., Czech Texans, Bohemian Colony, Corpus Christi

Replies: 0

Kostoryz, Stanley L., Czech Texans, Bohemian Colony, Corpus Christi

Posted: 15 Jul 2002 3:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2006 10:28AM GMT
Surnames: Kostoryz, Stanley L. , Czech Texans, Bohemian Colony Corpus Christi
I recently received a book from my family, as a gift. The book is titled , The Czech Texans by The University Of Texas Institute Of Texan Cultures At San Antonio, The Texians And The Texans. I also have the Jewish Texans, which will take a while before I can post the articles in it.
One article is about Stanley L. Kostoryz year 1906. The article is as follows:
To Stanley Kostoryz must go the credit for the establishment of the large Corpus Christi Czech community. Born in Prague, Kostoryz came to the United States as a young man and settled in Nebraska, where he owned and edited a Czech language newspaper. About 1904 he sold the paper and immigrated to Texas, settling near Corpus Christi. Using the proceeds from the sale of the paper, he purchased 7, 700 acress southwest of the town, then known as the Rabb Ranch. Kostoryz had the land surveyed and subdivided, and named it the Bohemian Colony Lands. He advertised his colony in Czech language newspapers throughout the United States. In the fall of 1906 the first 5 families moved in and began clearing the brushland. More families moved in, the colony prospered and a school was built and named for the colony's founder. Bohemian Colony settlers were not greenhorns recently arrived from Europe. Most came from older Czech settlements in central Texas or from the Midwest.
In 1912 Kostoryz enlarged upon his colonization scheme by purchasing an additional 2,200 acres. Settlers continued to come to the Nueces County settlement, but the costs of promoting the colony were greater than the income from land sales. The enterprise was not financially successful for Kostoryz. he eventually sold his holdings and returned to Czechoslovakia, but he did leave an indelible mark on Corpus Christi. There is now a major thoroughfare named in his honor. The original Kostoryz school is gone but in its place is a modern structure built in 1964 and also named for him. The tightly knit Czech community supports an active Sokol gymnastics club and the major Czech fraternal organizatons have lodges in the area.
I am not related to the Kostoryz Family. I'm only posting this to help other researchers and the Kostoryz Family. I also have a picture of Kostoryz. If you would like a copy of this photo, please email me at vonward@txucom.net
Other addys are vondra_ward@hotmail.com
judyvondra@yahoo.com
Thank You
If you will click on my name and view the other queries I have posted, you will find many other surnames, communities, organizations, groups and churches involving the Czechs.

Find a board about a specific topic