Search for content in message boards

Anyone have "obituaries recorded in Panola County, 1873-1920?

Replies: 1

Re: Anyone have "obituaries recorded in Panola County, 1873-1920?

Posted: 18 Nov 2013 2:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Peggy,
I recently made a trip up to Carthage, TX on a genealogy hunt for my ancestors. I ran across this post of yours in October and made a note to look for information for your D B Moore. Unfortunately, he was not listed in the book Obituaries recorded in Panola County, TX 1873-1920. I looked at microfilm of the newspaper, The Panola Watchman, but unfortunately the year D B Moore died was missing. My own ancestor died the same year. I searched the cemetery and was unable to locate a marker....the cemetery is large and it was very wet which made it difficult. The courthouse only has death records as far back as 1903. However, I did find a probate record for him as follows:
Probate Docket 1873 - 1913
D B Moore - died Pg 520
Record # 1065
M J Moore - Administrator on est. D B Moore, Dec'd
Filed Dec 6th, 1894 - J H Hawthorne
Feby 1895 - M J Moore appointed Administrator on estate of D B Moore, dec'd
J G Chadwick, G D Quest, & G L Cleveland appointed land appraisers
Administrator bond set at $800.00
Bond approved on March 12, 1895
Application to set aside homestead and exempt property rec'd and approved. Adminix takes property not exempt at appraised value.
Aug 5th, 1895 - Adminix allowed $175 with which to buy buggy at $75, 2 yoke of oxen at $80 and 20 sheep at $20 in lieu of exempt property not on hand.

This is just the information from the index book. The actual records are in a folded envelope and may contain several documents. You can contact the courthouse and have them pull the record and they may be able to tell you which documents are there and then you can decide if you want copies of them. I know my ancestors record had about 6 pages regarding court proceedings about the estate (Guardianship of minors children, selling of assets). I know this isn't much, but I hope it helps. You can contact the Panola County Courthouse at
Panola County Courthouse
County Clerk
110 S Sycamore Room 201
Carthage, TX 75633
(903) 693-0302
Good luck,
Elizabeth
(Finklea, Oates, Taylor & Brandt families)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
peggy moore 5 Nov 2006 3:54PM GMT 
hnh1992 18 Nov 2013 9:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic